Hen not able to walk

gpooba

Hatching
Aug 29, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am not sure what to do next. I have a hen that started walking funny, isolating and not eating much. Walked like a penguin and would just squat down and not move for long periods of time. I brought her in to our laundry room (chicken hospital) as I thought she might be egg bound even though she hasn't laid an egg in months. While examining her, it was noticed she was just crawling with mites. She was pooping (more like diarrhea) and i couldn't feel an obvious egg. We figured it was the mites. We powdered her down with permethrin, laid fresh shavings with DE in the "hospital". She is drinking lots of water and still loves scratch and she is eating her food. That hasn't changed over the last week or so we have her in here. However, now she can't walk at all. She has one leg stretched out in front and one out in back. When I pick her up gently and lay her back down, same position. Can mites do that?? or is this something else? We keep her right next to her bowls so she doesn't have to try to get to them. We are putting chicken probiotics in her water that also has salt, potassium, vit A, vit D, vit E, vit K, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and pantothenate acid.

Also on a side note. For those that remember my last post about my hen that had a wing just crawling with maggots after an injury and I was worried it would have to be amputated? She did freaking amazing. We did not have to amputate, we just dressed it daily and I was amazed how tissue grew back even over exposed bone. She is back with her boyfriend in a coop within a coop (she is separate from the large flock) and laying like crazy.

Sounds more like an internal infection like salpingitis, or possibly tumors pushing on nerves.

Back
Top Bottom