𝓓𝓾𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓟𝓱𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓻𝓪𝓹𝓱𝔂
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 6, 2017
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Good morning. I have a Black Copper Marans hen that isn't doing well this morning. She's all fluffed up and inactive. (I was able to walk right up to her and pet her without her moving.) Is there a way anyone could help and identify what is wrong?

20240220_090620.jpg

20240220_090627.jpg

Things noted:
  • Her crop was empty. (This isn't really identifying anything as she might not have filled it before roosting. The feeder was empty when I took care of them last night and refilled then.)
  • She's been laying eggs and was in the nesting box yesterday. (Her eggs are typically soft-shelled, pigment messed up, and sometimes the inside looks abnormal.)
  • I didn't get a good feel of her abdomen as I didn't want to disturb her too much, but what I could feel, it felt fine. (I can try getting a better feel later.)
  • It's been very cold the past couple of nights. Yesterday was cold and windy, so my birds wasn't let outside.

It could be a reproductive issue, if she has been laying strange eggs.
I was starting to think this because when I checked on her, she was in the nesting box. She closed her eyes and slowly dropped down and was unresponsive. I assumed egg bound, so I took her to a sunny spot where the snow has melted and set her down. (Her eyes opened again.)

While she was in the sunny spot, she pooped this:

20240220_102934.jpg

I moved it around with a stick to get a better view of it:

20240220_103251.jpg

The sack thing I think is like membrane with assumed egg white inside. The other thing is like meat, but I'm wondering if that's her shell, but maybe softer?

Your hen seems to be suffering from salpingitis and would need antibiotic treatment.

The stuff she expelled is lash egg material = accumulated pus.

Your hen seems to be suffering from salpingitis and would need antibiotic treatment.

The stuff she expelled is lash egg material = accumulated pus.
What do you suggest for antibiotic? Also, I've been looking around at different threads and I'm thinking she needs calcium. Do you have any suggestions of what I should get?

What do you suggest for antibiotic? Also, I've been looking around at different threads and I'm thinking she needs calcium. Do you have any suggestions of what I should get?
The treatment would depend on the kind of bacteria causing the infection.

You could try Amoxicillin or Baytril but be aware that in cases that have been going on for a while the treatment might come too late.

And allow for 4-6 hours in between the antibiotic and the calcium supplement. You can use calcium + vitamin D3 for humans which can be found in supermarkets.

Back
Top Bottom