Hen not active, no poo all day, feathers fluffed

ihateliver2

Hatching
Nov 30, 2020
Hen was healthy yesterday. This morning, didn't even want to come out of the coop. When she finally did she just stood in one place. We have separated her already just in case. Her feathers are all puffed up making her look bigger than she already is. She hadn't raised her tail feathers all day. Just standing with her but down and her neck retracted. No fever but hasn't pooped since she been isolated, 7 hours. She's not really eating or drinking but I did manage to get a few drops of water into her a little while ago. She is about 8 months old and I have no idea on weight. I can say that she has just recently started laying. With that in mind I felt her underside to see if she was egg bound but I didn't feel anything. As for her crop, I'm not sure what it normally feels like. She's definitely the least human friendly bird we have so when she allowed me to pick her up without fuss, it knew she wasn't well.

Attachments

• 20201130_182420.jpg
    20201130_182420.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201130_182442.jpg
    20201130_182442.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201130_182357.jpg
    20201130_182357.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 3
The only thing I can think of is that she may be going broody. Is she growling?

Also, where are you located? For example, it snowed here today and most pullets hate the snow. Some will outright refuse to leave the henhouse. Just a thought.

She could be broody or sick. If she is sick give her a small amount of oil, so she will poop. You could also let her soak in a warm bath to relax he muscles, and she may relieve her self. If you have any Easter eggs put them by her if she puts the under her she is probably going broody.

Hen was healthy yesterday. This morning, didn't even want to come out of the coop. When she finally did she just stood in one place. We have separated her already just in case. Her feathers are all puffed up making her look bigger than she already is. She hadn't raised her tail feathers all day. Just standing with her but down and her neck retracted. No fever but hasn't pooped since she been isolated, 7 hours. She's not really eating or drinking but I did manage to get a few drops of water into her a little while ago. She is about 8 months old and I have no idea on weight. I can say that she has just recently started laying. With that in mind I felt her underside to see if she was egg bound but I didn't feel anything. As for her crop, I'm not sure what it normally feels like. She's definitely the least human friendly bird we have so when she allowed me to pick her up without fuss, it knew she wasn't well.
1606528697615.jpg

Feel her abdomen between her legs. Any swelling or egg shaped lumps? She may be egg bound. Since the eggs and the feces come out of the same hole, an egg may very well be blocking her up, making it impossible to defecate.

Definitely try the warm bath. We used a 5-gallon bucket for an egg-bound one. Make sure the water is warm enough but not too hot. Wrap her up in towels afterwards so she doesn't get a chill. You might try some kind of ointment on her vent. See if you can feel if there's an egg blocking. When they start laying, the eggs can vary in size and texture and she might be having trouble passing it.

The only thing I can think of is that she may be going broody. Is she growling?

My girl is doing the same thing as the OP. I gave her 4 Epsom salts baths over the last 2 days. No egg. I checked up in there and nothing. She is not roosting but in the corner of the coop so I brought her in the basement for warmth. BUT, yesterday while holding her, she did the growling. Is that a sign of going broody?

My girl is doing the same thing as the OP. I gave her 4 Epsom salts baths over the last 2 days. No egg. I checked up in there and nothing. She is not roosting but in the corner of the coop so I brought her in the basement for warmth. BUT, yesterday while holding her, she did the growling. Is that a sign of going broody?
If they are growling, like the loud cluck cluck when she is out of the nesting box then she may be broody.

She may be broody if she is also staying in her box for most of the day.

Resist the urge to bring her inside. It’s too cold outside to be constantly transitioning from warm to cold. It will make her sick. If she is outside now, leave her and don’t warm her up again.

Back
Top Bottom