Hen not eating but drinking

tsard

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2019
Help,
My poor Chewy is not doing well.
I had just recently treated her for sour crop and that seems to be dealt with. However she is no long eating any food. She still drinking plenty of water (with nutri-drench added), but doesnt go for the food.
When she had sour crop she would eat almost everything put in front of her (usually scrambled eggs), now she may peck at it once or twice and then doesnt touch it. I have switched back to her normal food but she still shows no interest.
Her poop is more water then anything else, when before it had some solid waste in it (green in colour).
I checked to see if she was egg bound, but felt nothing but her bones.
She has lost so much weight, I am worried I will lose her
I am at a lose, and there are no vets around me who will look at chickens.

Help,
My poor Chewy is not doing well.
I had just recently treated her for sour crop and that seems to be dealt with. However she is no long eating any food. She still drinking plenty of water (with nutri-drench added), but doesnt go for the food.
When she had sour crop she would eat almost everything put in front of her (usually scrambled eggs), now she may peck at it once or twice and then doesnt touch it. I have switched back to her normal food but she still shows no interest.
Her poop is more water then anything else, when before it had some solid waste in it (green in colour).
I checked to see if she was egg bound, but felt nothing but her bones.
She has lost so much weight, I am worried I will lose her
I am at a lose, and there are no vets around me who will look at chickens.
Drinking a lot and not eating, I would still suspect some type of crop issue or possibly a blockage in the gizzard, proventriculus or intestines. Is the crop completely empty in the mornings before eating/drinking? How did you treat the crop issue?

Can you get a fecal float to check for worms?

Drinking a lot and not eating, I would still suspect some type of crop issue or possibly a blockage in the gizzard, proventriculus or intestines. Is the crop completely empty in the mornings before eating/drinking? How did you treat the crop issue?

Can you get a fecal float to check for worms?
I added ACV to her water to help with the sour crop and massaged it to help relieve anything that may ha e been blocked.
Her crop is empty in the mornings.
There is little to no mass in her droppings so I dont think I will get anything to do a float.

Is there anything I can give her?
I cant get meds because vets around me dont treat chickens.

I added ACV to her water to help with the sour crop and massaged it to help relieve anything that may ha e been blocked.
Her crop is empty in the mornings.
There is little to no mass in her droppings so I dont think I will get anything to do a float.

Is there anything I can give her?
I cant get meds because vets around me dont treat chickens.
Does her breath still smell bad? Usually something like Nystatin or a yeast medication is needed to clear up sour crop. While ACV may help, it's not that effective.

I believe I would re-treat her for sour and impacted crop. She may have something else going on too - a blockage somewhere or suffering from reproductive issues that's causing issues.
Here's a good article to start with treatment - do what you can to keep her hydrated. If she's not really eaten, then I would see if she will take a little scrambled egg or wet feed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom