hen not eating/drinking chest bone protruding

JJ - Thank you so much for sticking with me through this! Our vet is a good one. A lot of people don't go to him because he is a little pricey for around here but he calls back immediately and answers text/emails within minutes any time night or day. Worth his weight in gold! No - no blood work done on her as of yet.

Bluebell is on to the "pill in cheese" trick this morning so may have to get more creative... LOL

The baby food is being fed with a syringe and she hates that. I am aiming for 3-5 times a day and hoping that will be good. She did wake right up this morning and eat her bird food! Just no water at all. She shakes and shakes because the food won't go down. She will let me take a syringe and put water in her mouth when this happens.

Tried the vitamins yesterday while we were outside - got a good few drops in - she HATES and I mean HATES them! I got it all, coughing, sneezing, gagging noise, the medicine came flying out with the vitamin drops (and another chicken ran over and ate the pill
roll.png
) and the meanest stink eye I have ever seen. Now when she has her mouth open - she also has one eye open... LOL

"Thankfully I don't measure a beings worth by what they can produce in return!" We don't either! Bluebell has taught us so much! We have all fallen in love with her. We have only had chickens for a few months and I wondered when we got them where they would fit into our lives. They are so much more than "farm animals" to us. We love each one of them and what unique personalities they each have!

You are such a good egg
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

And that vet of yours - priceless with the way he is so responsive - I'm so glad for you (and Bluebell) on this. Sounds like a very caring person.

I really feel for you re: medicating her.
hugs.gif
It can be so difficult, and stressful for us too because we don't want to upset them or hurt them, especially at a time when they feel like crud to begin with...... Pilling them is sooooooooooo difficult. Liquid more successful but it's a VERY slow process a drop at a time so they don't aspirate it and choke. I follow up with great treats but of course that is difficult if a bird isn't feeling well enough to be apologized to with treats
hmm.png

Will she take watermelon or cup up grapes or blueberries for moisture and to take the bad taste away after meds?

Healing thoughts streaming your way!
Will check back.

JJ

I took in a stool sample today. No worms. I was almost hoping that she did have them so I knew what was wrong.
sad.png
Today her throat is just full of everything that she has been trying to eat. She just can't seem to swallow anything!

Cindy - This is really troubling. It's as though there's an obstruction of some kind. An x-ray may sort it out but such a shame that this situation is still a mystery. I'm sooooo sorry, for her, and for her kind-hearted humans
hugs.gif
. I hope for all of you that the problem can be ID'd soon and that she'll feel better
fl.gif
JJ

JJ- I was so frustrated yesterday and she kept opening her mouth real wide. I got a good look in there and it looked like something was wedged in her throat. I tried spuirting it with warm water = nothing and I was afraid that I would drown her. I tried picking it out with tweezers = they won't reach. I tried moving it with a chop-stick = didn't work. So, in tears I sat down with her on the couch and rubbed her throat from the bottom up = I think I got it!! It made a small pop noise (which scared me half to death) and she gulped. Now this morning she is eating really well! She has had a couple of raisins (one with a pill in it!!), a bite or two of watermelon and she has almost eaten an entire ear of cooked corn!
smile.png
I am going to keep her inside until I am sure that she is better and I see her drink water on her own. Also, she is pretty thin and it is cold outside now.
smile.png
I am really hoping that that was it and now she will start getting better!!
fl.gif

Holy moly and what the heck!! Wonder what that was?!
Crossing fingers and toes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hugs
hugs.gif

JJ (this is me logging in from work to check in on you and Bluebell)

Quote:
Thank you so much! She is off to a good start. Watermelon, raisins and weeds.
smile.png
Still no water and her mouth is still open off and on... we'll see.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom