hen not eating/drinking chest bone protruding

Checking back in on your feather-girl. Hoping things are good
fl.gif

JJ

Yesterday was the first day that Bluebell didn't have her mouth hanging open AND she drank water on her own - for the first time in 2 weeks! By afternoon she was driving us crazy. LOL She is back to her old self! I kept her in last night just to make sure. This morning she didn't want anything to do with me unless I had food in my hand. Right now she is out in the grass eating bugs! If all goes well today - she will sleep out with her sisters tonight.
smile.png
She is eating and drinking all on her own now! She is still a little thin but there is no way she would sit still long enough for me to feed her so I am hoping that if I give her a little extra corn - she will put some weight back on.

This morning she had her pill (in a raisin) -- she only has 2 left. And she had her bee pollen (also in a raisin). Then she had her food, a tomato, and a tiny bit of yogurt. Now she is outside eating EVERYTHING!

Thank you all so much for sticking with me through this! I was so worried about her and it was nice to have somewhere to go to talk about it.
smile.png

Last edited:
I brought her in tonight. Partly because she begged and partly because it is sooooo cold out there and she has no meat on her bones!
hmm.png
She did eat good today and seems to be back to normal!
smile.png

So good to hear. It is such a worry when they are ill (I have a kitty right now who is mysteriously ill and the vets aren't sure why - she is sick to her tummy and vomiting - and it's heartbreaking
sad.png
). I am very glad to hear that Bluebell seems to be on the mend.
JJ

jj - how is your kitty doing?

Bluebell is 100% back to normal! She is smaller than her sisters but I am not worried about that.
smile.png

Here is a picture of her running around with a piece of hot dog roll in her mouth last night.
roll.png
smile.png

Thank you all again for your advice/support.

62514_dsc_0089.jpg

Hi. This is me, JJ (at work and transcending the madness for a couple of minutes of BYC while eating a sandwich:)). I'm so happy to hear that Bluebell is well!!!! She looks good!
And thank you kindly for asking about kitty Samantha. She seems ot be a little bit better though I still see her eating grass which means upset tummy and probably vomiting. She is a mystery - they just don't know what's brewing. Took her to my holistic vet office recently and they tried some stuff too so we'll see. Never a dull moment, is there?! Now my roo BJ is staggering like a drunk - posted about him yesterday. I'm suspecting it's his molt that's thrown him off so am trying to get him extra protein and extra warmth right now. Hopefully all will be well soon.
Thanks for the great Bluebell update!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JJ

My chicken is experiencing the very same symptoms as Bluebell! I'm going to check her throat too, maybe she has something lodged? She barely eats and I have to drop water into her beak....very worried for my Broodie
sad.png
This thread has been very informative!

Quote:
I am not sure exactly what was wrong with Bluebell. I wonder if she had some kind of blister in her throat... no idea. I just know that spoiling her and snuggles sure helped - along with antibiotics and raisins! Is your chicken young? My vet had me give Bluebell pedialyte (just the plain store brand kind) to keep her hydrated. I am sure that you will get great advice and support on this site. Good luck with your Broodie - I'll be thinking of you.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom