Hen not eating. Hiding in coop. Red scaly skin.

BackyardTeepee

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) around 1.5-2 years old buff orpington. She feels thin. Empty crop
2) What is the behavior, exactly. I noticed about a week ago that she wasn't really hanging with the group. She's been hanging back. now she's just been hanging out in the coop alone on the roosts. Not eating. Always empty crop. Feels thin. Won't even eat treats or scratch. I did let her free range in the yard alone, and she was scratching around and eating assorted herbs and greens growing in the yard a bit.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About a week, but hadn't left the coop in the last 2 days.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. I have included some pictures of her skin
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I know that the girls had worms last month. I found what looked like round worms in some poop, so I treated them with a wormer. She did not get wormer because she was with chicks in a separate pen, in the main pen at the time. I have checked for mites and live, but haven't seen any. But I have never seen one before so I can't really say what they look like.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Tucker Milling non-GMO laying pellets 16% feed free choice. Also same feed fermented, free choice. Scratch for fun with the children in the afternoons, leftovers from the house. Nothing crazy, I know what chickens can/can't have. Free range in the afternoons.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. She had runny poop on butt. Vent not blocked. I cleaned it up the best I could. She looks good today (as far as poop on butt)
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I gave her one dose of wormer about 4 days ago
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Fully treat myself. Vet is not an option. If I have to I can separate her completely temporarily, or I can cull.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use dirt floor sparsely covered with wood chips. Large coop. They have a giant yard fenced off for themselves. They have also had access to the garden directly to come and go as they please which is as large as their fenced in yard.

Also, I live in Florida. The coldest it has gotten at night is 33 degrees.
I'm not sure if this is part of a molt, because I usually eat and replenish the hens every year, but I kept 3 buffs for permanents because I liked them, and they are particularly sweet to my children. Anyway, so I have never experienced a molt.

Attachments

• 20201217_110933.jpg
    20201217_110933.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20201217_110910.jpg
    20201217_110910.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201217_113101.jpg
    20201217_113101.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20201217_110940.jpg
    20201217_110940.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I havent read your first post yet but I want to give you a :thumbsup:thumbsup giant two thumbs up for reading the sticky tag and answering all the questions. I know it feels like a lot but itll get you better informed answers so much faster! You're great!

I would suggest you separate her with her own food and water, in case it's a pecking order thing, and try to get her to eat and drink. If she wont drink freely, dribble some on her beak and see if she'll take it that way. If she is drinking freely, I would offer her scrambled eggs and wet food and see if she takes you up on it.

I havent read your first post yet but I want to give you a :thumbsup:thumbsup giant two thumbs up for reading the sticky tag and answering all the questions. I know it feels like a lot but itll get you better informed answers so much faster! You're great!
Yaaay! Thank you! Yes, when I read answers the first one is always "we need more information" so I wanted to give everything I had.

I would suggest you separate her with her own food and water, in case it's a pecking order thing, and try to get her to eat and drink. If she wont drink freely, dribble some on her beak and see if she'll take it that way. If she is drinking freely, I would offer her scrambled eggs and wet food and see if she takes you up on it.
Ok I will do that as soon as I get home. By wet food do you mean the fermented feed? Usually the girls eat that over the dry pellets.

Ok I will do that as soon as I get home. By wet food do you mean the fermented feed? Usually the girls eat that over the dry pellets.
I dont actually know anything about fermented feed but I assume that would work even better. I just make a mash with chick starter and water because its easiest. I think the point is just something more appealing than pellets.

I dont actually know anything about fermented feed but I assume that would work even better. I just make a mash with chick starter and water because its easiest. I think the point is just something more appealing than pellets.
Ok yeah that's definitely fermented feed then. Will report back in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom