Hen not eating since Suprelorin implant

It wasn't easy, but I did manage to get an appointment with a vet at the local vet clinic today. She was explicit about her limited experience with birds, but she did sell me some medication. The hen got a drop of selamectin on the back of her neck, and has been prescribed five days' worth of enrotril solution (two syringes a day).
The vet stuck her fingers into the hen's oviduct to feel for the calcified mass. She was not able to reach it.

Sorry your going through this @Kneedles. I am currently sat in the vets with an egg bound hen. She has been like this since Wednesday. I tried all the usual methods and can't get the egg out. I'm just waiting now to see if a calcium injection will have any effect.
@getaclue that is a brilliant picture that shows exactly where to put the syringe.
You might try pureed baby food. Choose a meat one, and mix with a jar of the sweet potato one. You can put that in a dosage syringe, and feed. Hold the head tilting it a little upward, squeeze a little food in, then relax the head, so the chicken can swallow. Repeat several times, and multiple times throughout the day. When facing the chicken, hold the dosage syringe to the left side of the chicken's mouth. Reverse that to the right side, if you are not facing the chicken. Do NOT get any down the center hole, as it is the air passage.
View attachment 1982299

The hen's condition has not improved since enrotril treatment started, and I highly doubt that she will improve now. I forgot to mention that the local vet weighed the hen and found that the hen had lost at least 200 grams since the day when she received the implant.
I'm just about out of options now. I arranged an emergency phone call with the vet who performed the implant, but I have no idea of how much help it will be. I was informed that that vet is not taking consultations today and I don't think that she works on Tuesdays (i.e. tomorrow).

Back
Top Bottom