Hen not fully recovering from unknown illness

that could well indicate that her liver is also compromised.

Is there anything I can do to support her liver (other than switching to pellets and not giving treats)? They do get mealworms when we need to get them in the coop, should I stop that? A quick search here showed some people using milk thistle or aloe Vera for liver problems, is this something I should try?

If she is underweight rather than overweight then my concerns may be unfounded in respect of liver damage but generally Vitamin B supplements are good for supporting the liver. I don't know much about herbal supplements like Aloe Vera and Milk Thistle. Meal worms are fine to use as a treat, but as with anything, moderation is key. A little bit of raw animal liver cut into slivers may give your girl a boost and be a healthy treat for all of them on an occasional basis. Animal protein is important for chickens every once in a while.

If she is underweight rather than overweight then my concerns may be unfounded in respect of liver damage but generally Vitamin B supplements are good for supporting the liver. I don't know much about herbal supplements like Aloe Vera and Milk Thistle. Meal worms are fine to use as a treat, but as with anything, moderation is key. A little bit of raw animal liver cut into slivers may give your girl a boost and be a healthy treat for all of them on an occasional basis. Animal protein is important for chickens every once in a while.

Thank you! Would something like rooster booster be good? Or nutri drench?

Here it’s almost a month since my first post, but she seems to have regressed. She has never roosted since her illness, she lays on the coop floor. Her butt is really poopy. I clean it and it’s like that again the next day. She seemed to even have trouble clearing the board coming out of the coop today. Her wings are droopy and her tail isn’t as high as it should be. She is still eating and drinking and walking around, although not as active as the others. I started rooster booster in their water, what else can I do for her? I believe she has still never laid since before winter. If she was egg bound she wouldn’t have lived this long right?

Here it’s almost a month since my first post, but she seems to have regressed. She has never roosted since her illness, she lays on the coop floor. Her butt is really poopy. I clean it and it’s like that again the next day. She seemed to even have trouble clearing the board coming out of the coop today. Her wings are droopy and her tail isn’t as high as it should be. She is still eating and drinking and walking around, although not as active as the others. I started rooster booster in their water, what else can I do for her? I believe she has still never laid since before winter. If she was egg bound she wouldn’t have lived this long right?
If she was egg bound she would not have lived very long at all.
She is more likely laying internally and there isn't much that can be done to fix that.
I am sorry.

If she was egg bound she would not have lived very long at all.
She is more likely laying internally and there isn't much that can be done to fix that.
I am sorry.

She still has an appetite and no swelling. The main symptoms are poop all over her butt, weakness (can’t jump/fly at all) and of course the never laying an egg. She’s inside and resting comfortably. We are hoping for a miracle. My poor kids are still sad about losing Jasmine last week, and Snowflake is their favorite, they’ve been crying asking me if she’s going to be okay. This is so hard with tender hearted kids! If we lose her we are down to 2 and they don’t let anyone handle them at all.

Are there certain breeds that are less prone to this? Isn’t it weird to have 2 come down with these symptoms so close together (Barred rock and buff Orpington)?

Never laying an egg is a huge problem Imo, probably not one that you can necessarily fix, but that's what hens do...lay eggs.
I really feel bad that you have two so poorly. I wish I could give you better advice but I don't think it's going to be a good outcome.

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate all of your replies so much, more than I can express! I told my husband, “I just wish I had someone to bounce ideas around with!”. I know a few people with chickens, but no one that cares like I do. So I was SO happy to find this forum!

In the beginning I had the chick heater going in her sick box. Not a heat lamp,but the Brinsea EcoGlow kind. Last night and tonight I have her inside but without the heater, and our house is about 70 degrees at night. So hopefully this is preparing her for going back outside. I live in southeast Texas so it won’t be too much cooler in the coop.
You may have noticed my location...I would not advise using heat on them again. We do not get cold enough to need added heat for our birds down here.

She still has an appetite and no swelling. The main symptoms are poop all over her butt, weakness (can’t jump/fly at all) and of course the never laying an egg. She’s inside and resting comfortably. We are hoping for a miracle. My poor kids are still sad about losing Jasmine last week, and Snowflake is their favorite, they’ve been crying asking me if she’s going to be okay. This is so hard with tender hearted kids! If we lose her we are down to 2 and they don’t let anyone handle them at all.

Are there certain breeds that are less prone to this? Isn’t it weird to have 2 come down with these symptoms so close together (Barred rock and buff Orpington)?
Proper feed/feeding goes a long way for good health. I highly recommend a necropsy for the next bird you lose. Highly recommend it for peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom