Hen not herself today

H and H Homestead

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2020
I have a 3 year old Orpington hen up until last night was the feistiest out of my small flock. Last night she wouldn't eat any of her treat worms and now today she's just kinda done nothing. She's not egg bound, her crop isn't full, her comb is flopped over with a ever so slight discoloration. I've given her electrolytes and have seen no improvement. The only change is the 8 month old roosters behavior towards her overnight. He went from being picked on to being super protective of her. Don't know if this means anything but it's just odd.

Does she normally lay eggs and have they been normal? Has it been hot there? I would still try to get her to drink and offer some scrambled egg, tuna, canned cat food, or wet chicken feed to tempt her to eat. Let us know what her droppings look like, and pictures are welcome.

Thank you. She normally lays an egg every 2-3 days. It has been 70-80 degrees and cool at night. I am going to feed her scrambled eggs in the morning. Her droppings were slightly runny but not out of the ordinary for her. I did add electrolytes to her water and made sure she drank this evening. They are starting to molt also. The other 2 birds as of this evening are acting perfect.

My hens are all molting and eating less, plus being aloof and lying around. During molting or during cold weather periods are the times I will see illnesses more.

Back
Top Bottom