Hen not laying but appears ok

Jrumble

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2021
Hi all,
Recently joined to ask for some advice really. I have an Oxfordshire brown hen, she’s about 2.5 years old, she is a good layer for the most part, except a few times a year she would get lethargic and soft lay and then immediately bounce back. She was having one of these episodes but it lasted a couple days so we took her to the vet who prescribed an anti inflammatory to help her pass eggs (even though none can be felt inside her) it helped perk her mood and she has since been eating and drinking as normal. This was several weeks ago and still no eggs. She’s absolutely fine, if maybe a little less enthusiastic as she used to be. I’m at a loss as to why she continues to not lay but appears fine. She is not molting, she’s still young, not broody or sitting on eggs, the other 3 hens are completely fine and laying daily. Any advice very much appreciated thanks

Title says hatching. My mistake I guess, def not the issue
that's not your mistake; that's just the label attached to new members - it is you who is hatching :D As you get more active it will change to other things; if you surf the site you'll see a selection of them. Or you can choose your own if you become a premium feather member.

I
that's not your mistake; that's just the label attached to new members - it is you who is hatching :D As you get more active it will change to other things; if you surf the site you'll see a selection of them. Or you can choose your own if you become a premium feather member.
oh I see haha. Well that’s quite funny actually, thanks!

She could be in henopause, some hens hit it early. Are you sure she doesn't have 40 eggs hidden under a wheelbarrow? Mine do that all the time.
We have search for eggs all over but none. I had thought it may be something like that but I find hens next to impossibly to diagnose! I mean if she is eating, drinking and wants all the treats she’s ok. She’s pretty obvious if she’s in pain....the mystery continues!

Back
Top Bottom