Hen not laying but appears ok

Hi and welcome. Some birds just need a break from laying every now and again. Is she molting?
Hi, no not that I can tell. I mean she’s not a fan of the summer but it’s not been very hot so far. She does suffer with some blockage and soft eggs a few times a year but it always passes the next day. She seems normal, if a little more sluggish than usual

We have search for eggs all over but none. I had thought it may be something like that but I find hens next to impossibly to diagnose! I mean if she is eating, drinking and wants all the treats she’s ok. She’s pretty obvious if she’s in pain....the mystery continues!
She's on vacation? I'm not sure, it could be a slow molt.

coming back to your original post,
she is a good layer for the most part, except a few times a year she would get lethargic and soft lay and then immediately bounce back
I had one with this kind of cycle in her first year, and that hen is completely fine now; even at 4 years old she is one of my most reliable layers. And she's the nicest hen in the flock too:hugs

Good morning, welcome to BYC!
I'm sorry your hen is not doing well. I would bet that she is a production breed. They lay a lot of eggs their first year or two then burn out. They are also more prone to reproductive issues than heritage breeds.
I would just make sure that she is comfortable and has access to oyster shell.
Best wishes for you and your hen.

Question how do you become a premium feather member
At the bottom of the page, you'll find BYC store. Click on that and you can purchase a membership. I believe it is $20 for 3 months. Worth it... No advertisements.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210716-061322_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    Screenshot_20210716-061322_BackYard Chickens.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom