Hen not laying for days

TheChickenHole

Chirping
Apr 27, 2020
NY, USA
Hello all,

I have a hen that isn't laying for days and still isn't laying. She stays in the nesting boxes for a while but doesn't lay an egg. She seems fine. What do you think happened? (She is a EE)

Last edited:
Also heat unpacts their laying. My buff orpington always stop in the Summer & this year also have 2 Easter Eggers who've stopped. Of course it's mid to upper 90's during the day & 80's at night with high humidity making it feel like 100+. I think their bodies are focused on survival instead of production.

Also heat unpacts their laying. My buff orpington always stop in the Summer & this year also have 2 Easter Eggers who've stopped. Of course it's mid to upper 90's during the day & 80's at night with high humidity making it feel like 100+. I think their bodies are focused on survival instead of production.
I agree. My chickens lay all summer which is usually 90-110°F, though. I guess it depends on the chicken.

Hello all,

I have a hen that isn't laying for days and still isn't laying. She stays in the nesting boxes for a while but doesn't lay an egg. She seems fine. What do you think happened? (She is a EE)
How old is she?
How long since she laid?
If she seems fine, I'd not worry too much.
Sometimes they take a break from laying but still visit the nest.

Wow I am impressed! What breeds do you have?
My currently laying chickens are 2 polish, a brown leghorn, a buff orpington, a sapphire gem, a cinnamon queen, a Rhode island red, a new Hampshire red, an Easter egger, and a black sex link. The other 27 of my chickens are to young to lay (or are roosters), but I hope they lay throughout summer too, when they start laying.

My currently laying chickens are 2 polish, a brown leghorn, a buff orpington, a sapphire gem, a cinnamon queen, a Rhode island red, a new Hampshire red, an Easter egger, and a black sex link. The other 27 of my chickens are to young to lay (or are roosters), but I hope they lay throughout summer too, when they start laying.
Wow you're so lucky! What do you feed them? I'm a bit jealous!!

Wow you're so lucky! What do you feed them? I'm a bit jealous!!
Normally flock raiser or all flock with optional oyster shells, but recently the feed store ran out of it, so right now I am feeding them layers feed until the bag runs out. My dad also makes a salad for them every morning so that might be helping.

Back
Top Bottom