Hen, not laying, looks poorly. Need your help.

Pete Line

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
My 8 year boy recently got four Isa Brown hens and they have been laying for a few weeks now. I have been away for a couple of weeks and for just over a week now he has only been getting 3 eggs instead of 4. He got a few double yokers just before they dropped to 3 eggs per day - not sure if it is related. Now one hen is looking poorly - comb is small compared to the others, hen looks swollen at the front. It is eating OK. Any ideas where to start?

Here are the pictures:
20170530_070056.jpg
20170530_070028.jpg

Ok, this is going to sound gross but you MUST do it:

Do you have any medical gloves or plastic gloves?Or maybe a thin plastic sandwich bag?Put it on, and GENTLY with one finger feel inside her vent, not to far.Do you feel a egg?If so, You MUST soak her I'm ebsonsalt water.She might be egg bound.Is she walking like a penguin?Eating or drinking?

You have to act fast, Etgbound can kill quick.y

Thanks. Up until yesterday she was walking around with the others, but today she has stayed in the house.

Couldn't feel any egg. Gave her a bath of epsom salts for 20 minutes. Now sitting in a box looking very sorry for herself. Pecked at a bit of food, but no water.

Back
Top Bottom