Hen not laying

I personally don't add extra light for the winter, I let the ladies take the season off since they worked so hard during the rest of the year.
Her behavior is puzzling me though.
It could be stress, the electrolytes would help with stress. Good food would help you to determine if she has an appetite.
Does she have worms in her poop?

Some chickens play the pity game, I have one that hates being picked up and will pout in the corner if she is picked up for any health check ups. And another will play dead when the rooster mounts her, the rooster feels so bad and goes to peck her and she won't move, I have to tell him she is faking, then she will pop up and glare at me :lau

I'm not sure if she stopped laying for the season and then if you add light the next day, if she will start again. I have never tried this. Normally my pullets will lay throughout the winter but not everyday, they are EEs so they don't lay everyday anyways. My pullets are normally always around 6 months when winter hits.

Is it a problem if she does not lay eggs
No but the other stuff doesn't sound good.

she is just walking around slow and avoiding the other 3
When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

No but the other stuff doesn't sound good.

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.
Thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom