Hen not responding to treatment. Gape worm? Link to video please help assess.

Test came back today. NO PARASITES. Well, they must have gotten into something in the garden. I dont know what since nothing is alive out there right now and they spent all summer foraging and digging it up! All I know is my remaining two seem just fine now, happy as can be. I put them back on their feed today.
I am trying to look at losing the one hen as a sacrifice for learning for the future. Now I understand more in depth of what to look for and how to treat. I read 3 separate books before getting those baby chicks last year but this proves that until you are experiencing something you dont necessarily put two and two together right. And you still feel lost with so many variables.
Thank you for all the help and I am saving all these messages to reread in future!

Test came back today. NO PARASITES. Well, they must have gotten into something in the garden. I dont know what since nothing is alive out there right now and they spent all summer foraging and digging it up! All I know is my remaining two seem just fine now, happy as can be. I put them back on their feed today.
I am trying to look at losing the one hen as a sacrifice for learning for the future. Now I understand more in depth of what to look for and how to treat. I read 3 separate books before getting those baby chicks last year but this proves that until you are experiencing something you dont necessarily put two and two together right. And you still feel lost with so many variables.
Thank you for all the help and I am saving all these messages to reread in future!
Thanks for the update, great to hear there are no parasites! Sometimes chicken illness and even death is a mystery, unless of course you have a necropsy done on them. All you can do when chicken keeping is give them the best possible care you know how to give. When given a good environment, chickens will generally thrive, however there will always be issues that arise that are out of your control. Hatchery breeds especially are prone to over breeding and will carry many bad genetics that will cause disease and early death. We do the best we can and that is all that is expected. You were attentative to catch this and act quick, you are doing a wonderful job with your flock. :)

We were all new at this at one point, that's the beauty of BYC, we all learn together, teach each other, help each other.

Enjoy your flock! :)

Glad that your test came back negative for worms. It is hard to know what the hen died of, but it looked like some sort of respiratory problem, possibly a respiratory disease or perhaps she aspirated something. If you should lose another one, Imwould get a necropsy by your state vet.

I will 100% be getting a necropsy if god forbid anything like this happens again. I wish we hadn't buried Zelda so fast. Since theft said the lungs were clear and sounded good it is even MORE of a mystery. It is the mysteries that makes caring for all animals so tough. Can't tell you how many cats and dogs etc I have lost where it "could have been many things".
Anyway thank you again everyone! So glad I signed up for BYC as soon as I got my chicks!

I will 100% be getting a necropsy if god forbid anything like this happens again. I wish we hadn't buried Zelda so fast. Since theft said the lungs were clear and sounded good it is even MORE of a mystery. It is the mysteries that makes caring for all animals so tough. Can't tell you how many cats and dogs etc I have lost where it "could have been many things".
Anyway thank you again everyone! So glad I signed up for BYC as soon as I got my chicks!
the vet** sigh

Hi there Genesis 1981!
Well it's been around 18 months since you went through this ordeal - I would love to find out if this reoccurred? Or did it stop where you left off above 🙏🏻

One of my hens is doing this! I thought gape worm so I treated but she's still doing it. Did you ever find out what this is? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom