Hen not right -Now it looks like another one has it... WHAT TO DO?

bumping for update and some input on where I can get 3-Nitro-W. Also has anyone vaccinated for Coccidiosis in their flock? Thinking of vaccinating my week old chicks.

Roxarsone or 3-nitro-W is listed as a feed additive for poultry. I suspect that it has to acquired in a premixed feed. That is all I can find on it. Every reference I find to it's use is a part of a formulated feed.

Well thank you very much for looking that up for me! I don't see it listed in the Purina Layena Sunfresh I feed them so I will have to find a feed that includes it and mix it in... Again, thank you very much mdbokc
smile.png

Seems it's arsenic and can affect humans if the chicken manure is used as a fertilizer..... Ouch. Perhaps I will try the Amprol/Corid without it...

Last edited:
Day two of Sulmet treatment and she looks worse than she did before. She is constantly lying down, wings dropped and sleepy... Not eating or drinking and this morning her breathing is very labored. My husband offered to put her down today. Should I give her another day or take him up on his offer? It BREAKS my HEART to see her suffer like this. I just want to do the most humane thing for her.

Just back from the Chicken coop and it appears another of my Buff Orpingtons is displaying the same way. puffy feathers, sitting down in the run.. Mind you it is 27 degrees out this morning, but she is the only one doing that. When I started Martha on the Sulmet I also started the whole Flock on it as well... Should I take her out or just leave her in there since I would be giving her the same treatment?

Last edited:
I would segregate. If it's cocci, the droppings from those two are loaded with organisms. Even though you might have cocci in the flock, these two will be your biggest source. Coop will need thorough cleandown too and it helps to treat bedding with a dessicating agent like food-grade DE, Stable Boy, Stall Dri or a similar product. If your run is damp, it will become an issue of concern too, and all feed containers and water dispensers will need to be attended.

Here, folks use Corid (Amprolium) or Sulmet as the sole treatment but your article from Dr. Brown is probably ahead of that. The med you mention is not available here so far as I know. Perhaps a vet has it? Cocci is not only a poultry ailment so the meds may be available from any vet.

All the meds are hard on birds, which is probably what you are witnessing. Good thread below with some comments by Wynette-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2778398

Last edited:
Martha passed yesterday morning. I am so upset. My second ORP seems to be eating and drinking (her crop was full last night) It was too late to seperate her from the flock when I got home so I will see how she appears this morning and decide. I did take a flashlight to the coop and run to look for Cocci like droppings but saw nothing suspicious. Hopefully by treating the entire flock I caught it in time. Thanks LynneP for the link on OXINE. I ordered a gallon yesterday and am anxious to get it and disinfect the coop and run.

Back
Top Bottom