Hen not walking deydrated

gmachicken

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2010
Grants Pass, OR
My Black sexlink is not doing well. I think she is about 4 years old.
As I was getting ready to leave for a few days I noticed that she was not as active.
By the time I got home she was on the floor of the coop. Not doing well at all. Her waddles and comb were looking pretty bad, unable to get up. I lifted her into a nest box, so I could move her. There was a good size wet spot underneath her.

At first she would not hold up her head but now she is a little better there. I have not checked her out otherwise due to her weakness.

I have her in the garage in a cage and am forcing fluids with a dropper. Some left over banana mix that I used on another hen a while ago given to me from the vet.

My question is how often do I give her fluids?

I hope to get her to a vet tomorrow.

She needs 15 ml or 1/2 an ounce per pound of weight every 6-8 hours. So, a 5 pound hen would need 75 ml of fluid every 6-8 hours. Electrolytes or Pedialyte would be better than water, since I don't know what the banana mix is. Tube feeding can be done with a feeding or crop tube and a large syringe (60 ml.) Here is a thread on crop feeding, and you could get a #18 french tube and a syringe to tube feed from the vet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water

First bring her inside and keep her warm. Any swelling of abdomen? Have you checked for her being egg bound or possibly a broken egg internally? How is her breathing? Are both comb and wattles discolored with a bluish tinge?

Thank you for your help.

I checked her out a little better.

Her breathing is regular. Stronger than before. She does have an issue at her vent. Still "leaking". It seemed pretty firm in that area. She prefers laying on her side.

I got some fluids in her for the night.

I'll get her to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Your vet can show you how to tube feed and give subcutaneous fluids. FYI, sick birds do best in a room or cage that's 80-85 degrees.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom