Hen not walking, limps, acts fine otherwise....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lunachick, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    This started last week. I believe she may have fallen off a perch/roost or something. She will limp and use her wings to steady herself as she eases herself down in the dirt. She stays there and pecks at the dirt, she DOES go to the nestbox to do her egg everyday. (Which she has to climb up)

I believe she sprained something. I checked her all over and gently squeezed her muscles, and she didn't squawk. This particular bird is very sweet, and never complains. So I'm keeping an eye on her and put aspirin in their water.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Will this work itself out? Or do I have to do something else? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

poor baby. [​IMG]

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Oops - she's 18 months old if that bit of info helps.

3. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I have had several that limp from time to time. I just wait and most of them seem to get better on their own. I am not one to give medicines to animals without vet advice, so I don't know about the aspirin, but I'd just leave her be for a few days and watch her.[​IMG]

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Thank you for easing my mind Smith2. It's been over a week now. You bet I'm watching her. [​IMG] That little bit of aspirin that I give seemed to work for her then I stopped and she went back to sitting. I'll just keep my eye on her. Thank you again.

Why is it always the sweet ones? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by