Hen not walking right after egg bound

David050587

Chirping
May 30, 2018
English is not my first language so please excuse my bad grammar.. My hen is almost 4yars old, she's a silkie
Four days ago she was having trouble laying her first egg after being broody, after an epson salt bath and some calcium she finally lay the egg
Now shes acting normal she eats drinks but it looks like one of her legs is weak... Any ideas? Could it be the side effects of being egg bond?

Last edited:
If she was egg bound for several days before she finally laid the egg, she could be dehydrated and suffering from low calcium levels. These deficiencies can produce such symptoms.

Treat the dehydration with electrolytes in the water and add extra sugar. Or mix your own with a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of water with a pinch of salt and baking soda given as the only water source for 24 hours. Boost her calcium levels, which can affect the heart function, with a tablet of calcium citrate with vitamin D each day directly into her beak over the next few days.

Would this be ok?
And how much do I give her?

Attachments

• d6d2ea4f-3a0b-4999-948f-847f89086754.10f3c5ef74fd609dd63938d953e04fd4.jpeg
    d6d2ea4f-3a0b-4999-948f-847f89086754.10f3c5ef74fd609dd63938d953e04fd4.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1
That's exactly it! You scored!

Keep it handy where you can see it in your run. Give one tablet immediately directly into the beak. Chickens have no problem swallowing pills. Then one each day after that as long as there is an ongoing reproductive issue, then one a day until eggs are of normal quality.

This is not meant to replace ouster shell as the daily calcium source. Calcium citrate will usually only be used for up to a week, only rarely longer than that in case of a stubborn reproductive issue.

So everytime she lays an egg she gets injured more.. She was walking with a limp until yesterday after her 5th egg she stopped walking
How can i help her?

I took her to the vet last Saturday but she was walking normal the vet didn't find anything abnormal

These eggs could be injuring her nerves that control motility. I would first give her electrolytes with added sugar for 24 hours, then a regimen of B-complex for the next month.

Back
Top Bottom