1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen Obsessed with Another Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robinwiththechickens, Feb 5, 2012.

1. robinwiththechickens

robinwiththechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Riverton, Wyoming
    About a month ago I adopted 6 full grown laying hens to add to my small flock of 6 10-month old chickens (2 roos & 4 hens). The new girls are now out of quarantine and establishing themselves in the flock, but egg laying time is very full of drama. [​IMG]

One of the new girls (named 3 of 3) seems to be obsessed with one of my originals (named Honky). 3 insists on getting in the nest box with Honky, which severely displeases Honky. If removed from Honky’s nest 3 will find a perch just outside the box and stare at her, or peek at her from over the top of the dividers between nests. Honky is already kind of a drama queen when she’s on the nest and 3 of 3’s actions seem to really irritate her.[​IMG]

Is this normal? Does anyone else have a hen that stalks another hen? 3 doesn’t do this to any of the other girls. The few times 3 of 3 has laid, it has been while sharing a nest with the reluctant Honky. Is she just crazy or what? [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    What a funny story. I don't think 3 of 3 is typical, but hopefully for Honky's sake the novelty will wear off and the stalking will subside.

3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    LOL! I'm sorry for your trouble, but that's pretty hilarious that you have a stalker hen. What you need is a good chicken lawyer to file a restraining order against her.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Time for a restraining order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by