hen on a nest in cold weather?

I had a broody hatch chicks in cold winter and the the first chick crawled away from her and died of exposure. Yes, I sound like a Debbie Downer but it can happen. I have a broody on one egg and rest in incubator so I'll make sure she has a round cardboard "fence" around her at night so the chick won't crawl away and die.

Okay...MAYDAY... Need Help!!!! My buff orp just hatched two cute little puffballs. The other 4 eggs didn't make it through the arctic blast we had a few days ago.

I brought them indoors and put them in the storeroom in a chicken carrier and have been hand feeding her and carrying her outdoors for a quick bathroom break while I leave my fleece covering the babies.

I figure I can leave them there throughout the weekend but not sure what to do next? I have a big metal barn where the main coop resides. But I can't put them in the coop. I have a loft and an old grass catcher which would make them safe and perhaps a little warmer. NOt sure which to use. I can also keep them inside in an empty sheep water trough and put in near the downstairs corner (its a rec-room).

Can the two chicks survive the winter cold? The mother seems like a devoted hen and very healthy. I have alot of straw available.

Should I leave her and her babies in the downstairs room for about a week to toughen up a little. Its gonna stink probably and the rest of the family is going to let me know.

Should I separate Goldie (the hen) from her babies and keep them inside under a brooder?

Just not sure what to do.. Its a long way from 12 weeks when they can safely enter the coop with the rest of the clan.

Kim

Okay...MAYDAY... Need Help!!!! My buff orp just hatched two cute little puffballs. The other 4 eggs didn't make it through the arctic blast we had a few days ago.

I brought them indoors and put them in the storeroom in a chicken carrier and have been hand feeding her and carrying her outdoors for a quick bathroom break while I leave my fleece covering the babies.

I figure I can leave them there throughout the weekend but not sure what to do next? I have a big metal barn where the main coop resides. But I can't put them in the coop. I have a loft and an old grass catcher which would make them safe and perhaps a little warmer. NOt sure which to use. I can also keep them inside in an empty sheep water trough and put in near the downstairs corner (its a rec-room).

Can the two chicks survive the winter cold? The mother seems like a devoted hen and very healthy. I have alot of straw available.

Should I leave her and her babies in the downstairs room for about a week to toughen up a little. Its gonna stink probably and the rest of the family is going to let me know.

Should I separate Goldie (the hen) from her babies and keep them inside under a brooder?

Just not sure what to do.. Its a long way from 12 weeks when they can safely enter the coop with the rest of the clan.

Kim
she should be able to cover the chicksgood luck. Todays day 22 for my broody hoping for babies.

Personally I would keep mother hen together with her chicks somehow and take a step at a time. If they are OK in the downstairs room for now, then fine. Gives you some time to think of the next step. How long is your cold weather forecast to last?

Its Western NY so it will stay pretty cold for the next two months and this season seems an especially cold one. 30 degrees during day and in teens at night. I'm trying to figure out if I can put chicks and momma hen in the sheep water trough in with the other hens with a screen over the top so they will stay warmer. The coop is warmer than the rest of the barn. I agree though that I'll try and keep them inside as long as I can....and hopefully they can sprout a few feathers in the meantime.

Its kind of nice in a way b/c we are all going thru the winter blahs here and the little chicks are really cute.

Oh yes! Chicks are CUTE ! I agree with you that a bit of time inside will allow them to grow some feathers and they won't be quite so fragile.

Back
Top Bottom