hen on a nest in cold weather?

kimslack

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
Western NY
I have a broody buff Orp who is determined to have chicks. She's been setting on other eggs in the coop and generally being a pest. She has wanted to have chicks for 2 years... I keep putting her in the chicken tractor when she gets broody during the warm seasons.

But yesterday I was a complete maniac b/c trying to get ready for Christmas. She pecked me one last time when I reached in to get the eggs she was on.... So I'd had it and threw some straw into a broken lawn grass catcher in the barn with some grain and waterer and a few eggs that I'm not sure are fertile at this time of year and threw her in there. She immediately went to work and is setting tight on the nest.

Right now its unusually mild but I know the cold weather is going to come back. She has the grass catcher hood over her with an opening to get out if she wants, she's in a barn. But its the middle of winter and its cold with nights dipping down to the teens. I'm having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about what I did but she seems so happy now.

Not sure weather to just let her go thru this or haul her yellow rear end back into the coop and let her continue to peck at me in frustration.

Has anyone had chicks in the middle of winter in the East where its pretty cold? If she even hatches a few chicks, will they survive under her?
Kim

She should be able to hatch and raise them in cold weather, yes. And, let's face it, the simplest way to break a broody by far is to let her hatch some eggs.
smile.png

I have got 2 determined hens sitting on eggs too (Portugal). It is cold here at nights, about 4 deg C below freezing. One chick has hatched and has now survived for 2 days so far. It spends a lot of time underneath one or other of the hens so must be keeping warm enough.

I'll put a heat lamp on the chicks if they are born. Its been wicked cold here and more to come. I figure if the hen dies, she dies happy.

Sounds to me like you have a start date so mark it down and wait three weeks as it sounds like she want's a few chicks
under her feathers and yes I have seen a chicken hatch and raise chicks in South Korea so you really should not have
much of a problem as long as you make sure there isn't any cold breeze for her to contend with ....
Good luck and happy hatching
jumpy.gif

gander007
old.gif

Hi my hen(s) is brooding. 24 days and one is beginning to hatch. It was 10 yesterday and 16 this morning. I said let her be and really I was surprised any was fertile. I too wonder if they will survive in this horrible cold. Good luck. I will find out tomorrow if it lived if so his name is Elvis:)

Back
Top Bottom