hen on back but still kicking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamabanty, Jul 22, 2010.

1. mamabanty

mamabanty New Egg

Jul 22, 2010
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    banty hen around 3 years

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    found her 2 mornings ago laying on back kicking wildly,but unable to turn over, looked like her legs were seizuring, but not body
    removed her from flock, gave her a warm bath and kept her in a outdoor rabbit cage but without bottom, so she could relax in grass
    I continue to find her rolled over on back kicking, she is fine when balanced on legs for some time

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    I have had some concerns about her not being as active for about a week, but thought might be the weather
    going on 2 days away from flock

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    not sure if she is moving her left side of body, does not flap that wing. leg seems a little paralysis, but she like she does move a little in her cage and we had her out the first night she was seperated and she was able to move fwd at an avg pace about 20 ft, but seemed hunched forward

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    not sure

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    fed 2 raw eggs and a little layena crumbles, she gobbled the raw eggs up , not sure if she is drinking water or just spilling it

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    greenish and dry

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    gave her some VetRX drops in her throat and around head and wings 2 times

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    would like to treat it myself, don't have high hopes for this girl, I am just surprised we have not lost her

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    head is also reddish and ege swollen shut, not sure if from thrashing on ground?

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    just cleaned old straw out last week replaced with dry non-moldy new straw

Thanks! I will introduce myself in the next few days, I am exhausted from new kid goats and my sick hen. I thank you all for contributing to this board, it has helped me so many times!

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

This is a bird that needs the hand of mercy. I would cull her as this thrashing around on the ground while on her back sounds like a bird in agony.

3. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    That's not culling, that's euthanizing.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Hi and [​IMG]

I'm not sure what is going on with your hen, but it sounds like you may have had mold in the bedding and that can cause some major problems in chickens. It's always odd when one has a problem and the rest of the flock doesn't though so maybe it's not enviormental...... I'm not being much help, mostly I'm posting so that I can check on this thread in the a.m. There's not a lot of people on here this late at night so if you don't get some help tonight I'll give you a bump in the morning so more people can see this and hopefully someone will have some answers for you.

Gotta say that it's great that you took the time to read the sticky and post so much info about your sick hen. With that much info. it's much more likely that someone recognize the symptoms. Here's a link to the infamous "poo page" that you can checkout, maybe something will look like your girls dropping.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Quote:Whatever you wish to call it, this bird needs to die and not suffer anymore. [​IMG]

6. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    If she's still with you....

Put her in a cat carry box or cardboard box, wrap her in a small towel so that she can't flap, can't stand up, can't do anything really this will stop her from flipping.
    If you notice she flips over when she puts her head down to preen the breast feathers then put some towelling down there to stop her putting her head down. If she flips when she puts her head up, then lay a small hand towel over her head. You might need to do both.

Feed her as much as possible, cooked egg is better than raw egg (boiled/scrambled/fried/souffled doesn't matter). Add a little honey to give her more sugar if you want to.
    If she's not eating by herself, force feed her. If she's not drinking, force feed - or let her eat, bread soaked in water.

Green poo *can* be a sign of malnutrition.
    The swollen eye could be from the flipping over or it could be the reason she may not be eating.
    Broad spectrum antibiotics (penicillin based is OK) should be given incase of an infection. The amount you give them is inversly proportional to the likelyhood of survival without them. (i.e. Kill or cure dosages are what we use)

Best of luck.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How is she doing today?

8. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    My first reaction is neurological problem due to toxicity or disease. It could be the mold, as someone else mentioned. Could also be a simple vitamin deficiency. I think you are doing the right thing by separating her. Just keep an eye on the rest of your flock. It might help to include some vitamin supplements into her diet. Also, the reason why we don't feed raw eggs to chickens is because it promotes the spread of disease. A lot of diseases can be transmitted to chickens through their own eggs.

9. mamabanty

mamabanty New Egg

Jul 22, 2010
    Not sure if I am ready to kill her, I would like to give her a chance to heal. I have dealt with broken legs and wings and had successfully happy healed birds. If it is a spinal or neuro, I of course would not want her to suffer. But, I usually try to give an animal a chance to heal, unless they are obviously in severe pain or injured.

Don't think it was moldy hay, I just changed hay and my goats won't go near moldy hay and they have been fine. she could have found a piece of moldy melon rind or something buried in the mud. It was really rainy and muddy last week, perhaps something was dug up from under the mud? We also had a skunk lurking around last week and often have owls/weasels get our birds, but I do not see any evidence of bite or talon injury, maybe she got startled and fell or was dropped? We also have a young rooster that may have attempted one of his first fertility attempts and twisted her neck or spine?!? ...and one mean broody hen that has been nasty to the other birds.

I will put her in a little box. she is eating her raw eggs well and had some water today and 2 big droppings that looked regular, not so dry. I will try cooking the eggs, but I was told before that they like the raw eggs and shells best for healing. I thought the eggs would be more beneficial raw. I would like to research and hear more about cooked vs raw. I am taking fresh raw eggs from under then hens. I will try the honey... how much? just mixed with crumbles or egg or dropped in throat?

Anyone used the Vet Rx before? It is telling me 5 times a day, but I just wanted to see what other's experiences are.

should i add some medicated started feed? my neighbor has some for her peeps, I have never used medicated feed before.

10. mamabanty

mamabanty New Egg

Jul 22, 2010
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by