Hen on Eggs.. I hear Peeping...but it sure is cold...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by boilerjoe_96, Dec 19, 2007.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    How impatient should I be to grab the little peeping bundles?

I could only notice a hole in one egg couldn't tell on others. Should I give them a couple days and then(witha good set of gloves) rescue themfrom the cold and move them to the garage/house?

Lows are in low 20's tonight probably upper 20's rest of week... Teens next week for lows.

Will a heat lamp keep them warm in the barn or should I move them to the garage or house(assuming wife let's me bring them intothe house).

BTW I am in north central indiana and winter has a long way to go....

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow, I would bring her into the garage, babies and all.....with a heat lamp. At least for the first few weeks. Make her a pen...like a dog run. Im in SE Indiana, and I wouldn't want my babies out there this time of year. Thats why I have 10 babies in the brooder sitting next to my desk here in the basement. I sure wouldn't take any chances. Good luck with the DW, maybe once she sees the cute little fuzzy butts, she will relent!

3. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I agree. Those babies will die fast if they get cold. Eiither take them or mother and all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by