Should I store hatching eggs in room temperature 24h before hatching?

I'm no expert, but as far as I know, you don't need to acclimatize the eggs from the ideal storage temp (10-14 C) before you put them in the incubator. @fluffycrow?
I've never heard of warming eggs before hatching them, but I am very much a beginner, so it might be a used practice that I just don't know about

The only reason I can think of that warming "cold" eggs before setting them might be good would be if they form condensate on the eggshell when you first set them. Water from condensate may compromise the layer of bloom that keeps bacteria out. I don't think that will be a problem with the temperatures you are dealing with. Straight from a refrigerator or a very cold outside that could happen.

What do you mean with a few days? I find it hard to see any development under day 5. Replacing them at that point would mean you get different ages. A more complicated / staggered hatch and more chances of bullying.

Therefore I wouldn't replace the empty eggs but simply discard them.
I candle on day 4 and remove any completely clear eggs. Usually I see development pretty well as I have white and cream eggs. I leave any I'm unsure of in case they do develop. I don't do it every time I hatch. If most eggs are developing there's no need. Last year I didn't replace any eggs. It really depends. Usually I can manage a 4 day difference in chicks. Though, I've got to admit I hope I'll get a good rate of developing eggs the first time and will not need to replace any.

Back
Top Bottom