Should I store hatching eggs in room temperature 24h before hatching?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
Does this only apply to shipped eggs? Mine have been sitting at 13°C - 16°C for 1day - 2+weeks (depending on when they were laid). I'm wondering if I should move them inside where it's about 20°C a day before putting them in the incubator? They won't go bad if they sit in 20°C for 24h, will they? I'm starting incubation in 2 days I just need to figure out if I should put them in cold or have them warm up a little first.

No, they won't go bad in 20°C. Be aware that the eggs that were laid two weeks, or more, before incubation might not be as viable as the newer eggs
Thank you. And I know the older eggs have a smaller chance at hatching. This time with how few hens were laying I had to wait over 2 weeks to collect enough to fill the incubator. I'll candle a few days after incubating and replace any empty ones with fresher eggs.

Thank you. And I know the older eggs have a smaller chance at hatching. This time with how few hens were laying I had to wait over 2 weeks to collect enough to fill the incubator. I'll candle a few days after incubating and replace any empty ones with fresher eggs.
I just recently fought that battle. Took me 6 days to get 55 eggs out of like 86 laying hens. Lol

What do you mean with a few days? I find it hard to see any development under day 5. Replacing them at that point would mean you get different ages. A more complicated / staggered hatch and more chances of bullying.

Therefore I wouldn't replace the empty eggs but simply discard them.

Just for clarification. Should the eggs acclimate for a certain amount of time before set in incubator with OPs temp difference?
I'm no expert, but as far as I know, you don't need to acclimatize the eggs from the ideal storage temp (10-14 C) before you put them in the incubator. @fluffycrow? I never hatched with an incubator. Only with broodies. The guys I bought the hatchery eggs from in the past kept the eggs stored until I picked them up.
After transport they need 24 hours rest (important!). The eggs were not send by mail. I personally picked them up by bike /car.

It is best to store eggs with the point approximately downwards, to make sure the yolk stays in place. Eggs should be stored with the air sac facing up, otherwise the air will rise and the membrane will become loose. I know people who place them in an egg carton at an angle and 'turn' them twice a day (other side tilted, still with the point downwards).

Bonus info from a hatchery:
Store the eggs in a cool environment with a temperature of 10 - 14 degrees Celsius. Make sure the humidity is between 55-70%, this prevents water loss in the egg. Turn the eggs a bit twice a day to keep the yolk floating.

edited : spelling and added the italic text.

Last edited:
Does this only apply to shipped eggs? Mine have been sitting at 13°C - 16°C for 1day - 2+weeks (depending on when they were laid). I'm wondering if I should move them inside where it's about 20°C a day before putting them in the incubator? They won't go bad if they sit in 20°C for 24h, will they? I'm starting incubation in 2 days I just need to figure out if I should put them in cold or have them warm up a little first.
See link (and bookmark it if you like) for very detailed explanations and tips including extended storage times, pre-warming, temperatures, etc..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Back
Top Bottom