hen only lays once a week

l'abeille

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Berkeley, CA
I have an 8 month old hen on layer feed with 14 hrs light. She has only ever laid once a week. Will she ever pick up? Or should we think about replacing her. Our other hen is laying 6 times a week.

Thanks for any advice!

Hopefully it will pick up.
I have an EE that lays several eggs normally, then nothing for weeks or months.

Imp

my first thought was breed also, my cochin lays every other day, now with the shorter days, they have all slowed down, not to mention the brutal temps

She's a Black Australorp, and so is my other hen who lays almost every day. Also, I am in CA and there are no "brutal temps" here. It's like 50 on a cold night, usually 60.

Last edited:
If they are both BA's, their eggs should look about the same. How do you know for sure that she is laying 1 and the other 6? Perhaps they are each laying 3-4 per week?

I have a GC Marans that will only give me two eggs a week.

They are always JUMBO size.

Anyone want her and her purebred roo?

What are brand of feed are you feeding? i have heard folks say that feeding purina layena brand increases production, also winter it a time for them to recharge their systems, slowing down. Does she have extra calcium available? i would spend some time watching her and the interaction with the others- see if they are happy or how flock dynamics work

Back
Top Bottom