1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Cockerel Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tlynns, Dec 5, 2015.

1. tlynns

tlynns New Egg

Dec 5, 2015
    Hi everyone!

We are new to the chicken world, but so excited! We had three little chicks come in the mail about a week ago... All are supposed to be hens, but I have my doubts about the one on the right in the first picture. It's supposed to be a barred rock, which I believe it is :), but what do you think about gender? Cockerel or Hen? Is it too early to determine? This one is the sweetest of the bunch and smart (well, for a chicken)! DOB is 11/30/15. Thanks in advance everyone!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    It has been a while since I had BR chicks, and maybe the lighting in your photos is making the chick appear lighter than it really is, but I think you could be right. You should be able to tell with relative certainty in about 3-4 weeks as it feathers out. Pullets are darker than cockerels. Here is a thread that could be helpful if you compare your chick to the pictures in the thread: www.backyardchickens.com/t/798635/sight-sexing-barred-plymouth-rock-chicks-at-hatch/0_20

3. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

Way too early to make a call. Most of the people here that are excellent with gender guessing will tell you to post again between 6-8 weeks old. Really adorable though!

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x 3 adorable little fuzzy butt.

6. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless there is some way to tell based on coloring or feathering (besides vent sexing), you will need to wait a few more weeks.

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

So cute at this age, enjoy them as they are young! lol! they mature so, so fast!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X4 on Bridebeliever.

9. tlynns

tlynns New Egg

Dec 5, 2015
    Thank you everyone! I guess we will have to patiently wait for another 4-6 weeks. Until then we will keep our fingers crossed that this very cute "she" is really a she!!!

Have a wonderful evening! I will post more picture soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by