1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or Cockerel!?!?!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MamaHen8, Jun 4, 2016.

1. MamaHen8

MamaHen8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2016
    I know I have posted about this one about 5 times now lol but this is my Barred Rock. now that they are almost 2 months old, I feel like you can tell much better, but I think what is stumping me is that his/her body size is so big and by the research I have done, she doesn't look like a rooster to me. anyway, i tried to get the best pictures I could through the little fence! please let me know!!!!
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. MamaHen8

Apr 13, 2016
    i don't know why my phone won't let me post more pictures, but i will post more below the post!! sorry!! and thank you for any help!! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. kbarnell

kbarnell Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2016
    That's a barred rock

4. HopieGirl4Ever

HopieGirl4Ever The Chook Artist

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    It does look like a cockerel to me.

5. kbarnell

Mar 30, 2016
    Proper name is Plymouth barred rock. I'm having the same problem with trying to sex one of mine. It was supposed to be a roo but not sure

6. MamaHen8

Apr 13, 2016
    Oh! I thought the Plymouth Barred Rock was like a yellow tan color. lol shows what i know! well i really hope he/she is a she. Her body seems hen-ish, but her waddles and comb kind of say different, so i just really don't know. thank you!! hopefully you figure yours out!

7. MamaHen8

Apr 13, 2016

Dang it :( how can you tell? I thought the roos had slimmer bodies.. or does there body size not really count?

8. kbarnell

Mar 30, 2016
    Mine both have combs & wattles but one has a much smaller one & it just started growing recently. I call it Mrs Doubtfire because it was supposed to be a roo but now I'm not sure[​IMG]

9. MamaHen8

Apr 13, 2016

Hmm... yours seems a little bit darker in color then mine. but the combs in shape only, and the red color on their faces and waddles seem similar. He/she is my biggest chicken, but the others are catching up to her quickly. So I just am not sure. I thought roos bodies are slimmer then the hens, but maybe i'm wrong.

10. kbarnell

Mar 30, 2016
    Mine are both "round" lol but there is a big difference in size. This one is much smaller

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by