Hen or Roo? (About 17 weeks)

This one is definitely a toughie!

I can honestly say I have no certain guess on the gender but maybe someone with more experience with Orpingtons can provide a more certain answer.

My Buff Orpington pullet is 3 months old and her comb and wattles are barely even pink.

This one is definitely a toughie!

I can honestly say I have no certain guess on the gender but maybe someone with more experience with Orpingtons can provide a more certain answer.

My Buff Orpington pullet is 3 months old and her comb and wattles are barely even pink.
My biggest concern (and tip off) is this one is giant. She's very tall and has those massive feet. I've never had an Orpington before so I just wasn't sure if they were naturally big birds to begin with.

They are a large breed of chicken. 🙂

How is her behavior? Is she skittish or bold?
Has she shown any signs of crowing?
She is overall very skittish. With people she will run if you step her way. It takes a lot of coaxing with snacks to get her to kind of come close, whereas the others will eat from your hand. We have 3 grown hens and she is skittish with them too. She gets out of their way.

We got 3 pullets at the same time (2 Barred Rocks, and this Orpington) and she is definitely top of that pecking order. She will chase them more than they chase her, but they all square off with each other.

This is my boy around the same age.

Attachments

• 20220910_132223.jpg
    20220910_132223.jpg
    992.9 KB · Views: 8
She is overall very skittish. With people she will run if you step her way. It takes a lot of coaxing with snacks to get her to kind of come close, whereas the others will eat from your hand. We have 3 grown hens and she is skittish with them too. She gets out of their way.

We got 3 pullets at the same time (2 Barred Rocks, and this Orpington) and she is definitely top of that pecking order. She will chase them more than they chase her, but they all square off with each other.

That behavior has me leaning more towards pullet.

I am leaning more toward pullet, but I would give it another month or two to be sure. 🙂

The behavior doesn’t really mean anything tbh. My Orp boys were very timid and skittish too and they were definitely, 100% males. In fact, my main one constantly got beat up by the girls until like almost a year old. He started crowing at 7 months but they still beat him up until he found his confidence. So males can act that way too.

Back
Top Bottom