Hen or Roo Barred Rock?

Sunnysimplelife

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
SoCal
My Coop
My Coop

This chick is just over three weeks. Can you tell from the pic if it is a hen? I cannot have a rooster where I live and am wondering about this one. Not that I know much about this one but is sure is feisty with the others and bossy too.

It is hard to tell because the picture is so small. Does there appear to be a grey wash on the front of the legs? If yes then congratulations it's a girl! If the legs are all yellow they you have a rooster.

Last edited:
I am conflicted. Grey legs and black spots on the beak usually means hen but yours has more contrast in the feather color and it looks like it has longer tail feathers than mine had at that age.
hu.gif

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of white on the feathers for a hen, and looks kind of dark for a rooster, hehe. Tuff call! Here are mine so you can compare, they are 3 weeks old and I can now clearly see the difference in the colour in the feathers. When I compare yours to mine, I find it's closer to looking like a rooster?

Can you spot my 3 roosters? Feathers are coming wayyyyy whiter then the hens...don't mind the Rhode Island Red in there, hehe!
big_smile.png

Oh that scares me because I have two that look exactly the same. I cannot keep roos in my city. That would leave me with only my other two as possible hens and I really wanted four so we would get enough eggs. Bummer.

Back
Top Bottom