Hen or Roo? Help sexing my four chickens. Pictures at various ages

kath12

Hatching
May 24, 2024
IMG_8736.jpeg

8 wk old Rhode Island Red (left). 5 wk old Araucana (middle). 8 wk old barnevelder (right).
IMG_8741.jpeg

8 wk old Leghorn (left). 8 wk old Rhode Island Red. 5 wk old Araucana. 8 wk old barnevelder (right).
IMG_8853.jpg

10 wk old Rhode Island Red (behind). 10 wk old Barnevelder (front).

IMG_8856.jpg

7 week old Araucana.
IMG_8839.jpg

10 wk old Leghorn (left). 10 wk old Rhode Island Red (right).

All look like pullets to me, but if others think roo I'll be curious to hear why so i can learn from this too!
The Barnevelder's comb is already turning red at 10 weeks. The RIR could be a cockerel but it's unlikely at this point. While not definitive, all my boys jave started showing comb color by three weeks.

Also, look at the way they stand. The Barnevelder is always upright, alert, while the others are more horizontal.

The barnevelder is definitely a little roo. The comb was developing at a much younger age. He is going to be a little looker. I believe all the rest are little ladies.

The Barnevelder's comb is already turning red at 10 weeks. The RIR could be a cockerel but it's unlikely at this point. While not definitive, all my boys jave started showing comb color by three weeks.

Also, look at the way they stand. The Barnevelder is always upright, alert, while the others are more horizontal.
1716563729899.png
1716563782177.png

I've gone back and forth on the RIR. It grew so quickly in comparison to the others and seemed quite upright too. Here it is at 4.5 wks

Do you have a picture of the RIR as a chick? I still think pullet, but could be a late developing cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom