Hen or Roo...that is the question.

flynntheduck

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
Ok I am still unsure of the sex of this EE. I was told girl when I got it as a chick, then I was told boy about a month ago. Now I'm back to not knowing. It is 14 weeks old is not crowing or even attempting to crow. It makes clucking sounds and peeps. "He" was supposed to go to a new home this weekend but that has been postponed. I need to know if girl or boy before being rehomed. I will keep if its a girl.

It looks like a pullet, males at that age would have some of the pointy feathers coming in, and would most likely have red patches on the wings, or patchy color. Your EE has a nice even pattern of a pullet.

I'm going to say pullet. She looks a lot like my girl who's, for a lack of better word, is kind of "manish". My girl has thick legs, large body, a little bit of a patchy color and went through the same situation you are going through. But now at over six months, I know she's a pullet

I'm going to say pullet; both the hackle feathers and those at the base of the tail are rounded on the tips whereas they would be pointed on a male and there are no saddle feathers.

Thanks! I've decided to hold on to "her" until we either get an egg or a crow. But after looking at tons of pictures in the EE ways of sexing them thread I am almost certain Peep is a girl :) my kids will be thrilled because it's their favorite.

Thanks! I've decided to hold on to "her" until we either get an egg or a crow. But after looking at tons of pictures in the EE ways of sexing them thread I am almost certain Peep is a girl
smile.png
my kids will be thrilled because it's their favorite.

You're welcome. And I certainly hope for your kids sake that we are right and she's a pullet. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom