Hen or Roo?

CluckandRoo

Hatching
Apr 15, 2024
Just got this little babe, said to be aboit 13/14 weeks. Not yet laying and no crowing. Tail is held up majority of the time, but all feathers are rounded like a hen and no visible saddle feathers. It is also not bigger (if anything smaller) than the hens we got with it.

Unfortunately if it is a Roo we will have to find it a new home which sucks because it is super super sweet

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240415_085541_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_085541_Messenger.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20240415_165414.jpg
    20240415_165414.jpg
    670.6 KB · Views: 14
Just got this little babe, said to be aboit 13/14 weeks. Not yet laying and no crowing. Tail is held up majority of the time, but all feathers are rounded like a hen and no visible saddle feathers. It is also not bigger (if anything smaller) than the hens we got with it.

Unfortunately if it is a Roo we will have to find it a new home which sucks because it is super super sweet
Little baby roo

I’m not sold that it’s a cockerel just yet. Part the neck/back feathers and see if you can see hackle/saddle feathers coming through. What breed is this? My australorp pullet has an unusually big comb.

I'm also thinking cockerel but I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out to be a pullet. Seems too developed for a pullet that age but a bit behind for a cockerel.
That "super super sweet" part just has me seeing its gotta be a cockerel then.

I’m not sold that it’s a cockerel just yet. Part the neck/back feathers and see if you can see hackle/saddle feathers coming through. What breed is this? My australorp pullet has an unusually big comb.
We were told australorp or a mix with australorp

I'd say iffy, our Australorp at that age were squaring up to fight and starting to crow(then again we had 32 straight run and only 8 hens out of the bunch lol)

but we did have one pullet who had a big come and was very friendly-- still is with the biggest comb ever lol

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom