Hen or Roo

arthurpete

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
I asked this a few days ago and am just now getting around to uploading some pics.. So i got these chicks at 6 weeks, supposed to be gold sex links but they are not. I know this because i have a roo that crows every morning now (14 weeks, all same age) and he is not white. I am a bit confused by this one though... which i think is a hen. It is friendly (up until tonight) squats when i approach and no crowing as of yet. As far as friendly goes, it pecked my toes enough to break the skin and did so quite aggressively. Not sure what got into to here (it), she always comes up to me and follows me around by my feet but this is the first peck attack. her is a pic....

5864663203_9d813dee5d.jpg

Here is my roo(s), i know this one is cause of the crowing (the foreground)
5864674779_abf6ce82f9.jpg

5865238362_af344e8f65.jpg

Here is the other one i think is a roo, him and the one above were crowing back and forth but this guy was not very good at it, so we'll see it he is a he. He does have the same feathering as the roo and both him and the roo were the last to feather out.

5864676381_61371bc277.jpg

5864678141_070114aa3c.jpg

well i was told they were sex links... which obviously is not the case with all of them unless i have an assertive crowing hen but im pretty sure the bottom two are roos.

Judging by appearance do they look like roos?

i picked them up locally, apparently i was hoodwinked

so what is the dead give away characteristically? And if they are not sex links than what i am looking at, New Hampshire Roos?

im new to this

Last edited:
Quote:
Some may be female, but they are starting to look like young males. The one in the second and third pics even looks to be muffed and beaded, signs of EE or Favorelle breeding. Either you were swindled, or the breeder did not know the recipe for a sexlinked chicken. I would probably return them..........................but they are getting big enough to eat.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom