Hen or Roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by arthurpete, Jun 23, 2011.

1. arthurpete

arthurpete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I asked this a few days ago and am just now getting around to uploading some pics.. So i got these chicks at 6 weeks, supposed to be gold sex links but they are not. I know this because i have a roo that crows every morning now (14 weeks, all same age) and he is not white. I am a bit confused by this one though... which i think is a hen. It is friendly (up until tonight) squats when i approach and no crowing as of yet. As far as friendly goes, it pecked my toes enough to break the skin and did so quite aggressively. Not sure what got into to here (it), she always comes up to me and follows me around by my feet but this is the first peck attack. her is a pic....

[​IMG]

Here is my roo(s), i know this one is cause of the crowing (the foreground)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the other one i think is a roo, him and the one above were crowing back and forth but this guy was not very good at it, so we'll see it he is a he. He does have the same feathering as the roo and both him and the roo were the last to feather out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:yes the first one is a girl

3. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I believe they are all roos, sorry. [​IMG]

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:the first is red sex link hen

5. arthurpete

Apr 16, 2011
    well i was told they were sex links... which obviously is not the case with all of them unless i have an assertive crowing hen but im pretty sure the bottom two are roos.

Judging by appearance do they look like roos?

6. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:ya thay are roosters the hatchery probly just throw in extra red chicks to fill the order

7. arthurpete

Apr 16, 2011
    i picked them up locally, apparently i was hoodwinked

so what is the dead give away characteristically? And if they are not sex links than what i am looking at, New Hampshire Roos?

im new to this

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  8. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    sex links dont have black tail feathers or rose comes or beareds

9. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Some may be female, but they are starting to look like young males. The one in the second and third pics even looks to be muffed and beaded, signs of EE or Favorelle breeding. Either you were swindled, or the breeder did not know the recipe for a sexlinked chicken. I would probably return them..........................but they are getting big enough to eat. [​IMG]

10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    All males. The first has pointed feathers - male. Not to mention that comb at 14 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by