Hen or Roo??

pooderpie77

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 5, 2007

Someone said it looks to be 8-9 weeks old possibly, thats a guess though. The guy I got this and the other two from said he was pretty sure it was a hen but he wasnt positive. He was very nice and said he would gladly exchange if he turned out wrong. This little guy is pretty bold and not too afraid. If you kneel down it will come right up stretching its neck out. Almost like it wants to jump up at you. And it was NOT handled where it was. Someone on here asked about a better pic as they thought it was a roo so Im cross posting to see if anyone else thinks so to. I already have a silkie roo so I cant keep another. Rico (my silkie) is a little more aggressive towards this one than the other two hens I brought home. That made me wonder. Any opinions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It looks like it would be a hen, if it was four months old. But he's got a pretty red comb, and his barring is lighter than a hen's usually would be.
I'd say just wait another couple of weeks, and take him back if it's a rooster. Does he sound like he's getting a rooster voice, or a hen voice when he make's noises?

It makes a quiet ittle baby peep. And the age is a guess.. Its just strange how the others dont really want anything to do with it.

I'd say cockerel. You would expect that much comb and wattle at this age, even in a pullet, but the barring is light. Male barred birds tend to be lighter than females.

Back
Top Bottom