Hen or roo?

chandrahoffman

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 26, 2013
I let my silkies hatch out eggs from a breeder who is trying for olive eggers (with Ameraucana/Auracanas and Marans.) "Bright", who we thought might be a Wheaten, hatched on June 19th. Now his/her legs are really thick and even developing a bit of feathers, and I'm getting a little nervous watching the tail plumage. Can anyone tell me what lovely creature I have here, pictured with the siklie mama? Breed? Gender?

(mutts are okay with me! Roosters, unfortunately, are not.) Thanks in advance!

Oh dear. What's the giveaway? The tail feathers?
Maybe he will be one of those quiet, gentle, benevolent roosters who uses his leadership wisely, is docile with the family, loving and protective with his hens, and doesn't annoy the neighbors. They exist, right?
fl.gif

The giveaway is all of that beautiful, vibrant orange/red coloring. Usually bright, pretty colors means boy, especially in breeds like OEs or EEs.

Maybe he will be one of those quiet, gentle, benevolent roosters who uses his leadership wisely, is docile with the family, loving and protective with his hens, and doesn't annoy the neighbors. They exist, right? :fl  

Actually, in easter eggers, this is a very common trait if you socialize them a lot. If you leave them with their moma, they wont be as friendly, but can still be tamed.

Maybe he will be one of those quiet, gentle, benevolent roosters who uses his leadership wisely, is docile with the family, loving and protective with his hens, and doesn't annoy the neighbors. They exist, right?
fl.gif

Yes, They exist! I have a wonderful bantam rock named Charles, and he is so sweet to his girls. He's the most protective roo I've ever seen!

So I'm going to keep him. My hope is to breed him towards achieving olive egger hens. I have in my flock already 4 lovely light blue laying Easter Eggers and one BCM hen who lays a chocolate egg. Luckily I have silkies too who are perpetually broody and will hatch whatever I give them. I am new to this. Can someone direct me to a good thread? My guess is, once I start seeing mating activity and fertilized eggs, I collect the ones from my EEer's and my BCM girls and put them under my silkies. (I figured I'd write the start date in pencil on each egg.) Is this how you would go about backyard breeding for an olive egger quest? thanks in advance for all who can respond!

Back
Top Bottom