hen or roo

Still think boy. I'm seeing what looks to be roo type feathers on the neck in particular and just now starting to show on back. The buff on left is definitely a pullet.

The white is still too washed out to see feather detail..

Pick up the birds, part the feathers on the neck and back to find feathers that are actively growing(called blood feathers, has a thick shaft around base of feather), look at the shape of the feather coming out of these. If narrow with very pointed tip and is super glossy/wispy that's roo type feather. Hen feathering come out with rounded tip, not so narrow and is more solid, not so wispy. Either flat/matte or not as shiny. Compare between the two with red faces and birds like that buff girl in last picture.

by the way, nice stock.

Last edited:
Can you get clear side shots of each bird in natural lighting that isn't direct sunlight? The brightness of the sun can make it very hard to "read" feathering on solid colored birds as it just becomes a lot of blur and shine. Seeing them straight on the side vs. at a bit of an angle can be very helpful in differentiating feathering on the saddle area.

Only the white in this photo the buff in the back are diffrent ones

Much smaller than my other roo

I have only been interested in chickens for a year, so please take this with a grain of salt, but.... The Buff one kind of looks male to me.

It looks like there are pointy hackles coming in, and the tail is a bit suspicious too.

The other thing that concerns me is the colouring of the wings. My BO girls all have very even colouring, but this picture appears to show darker patches through the wing.

Buffs can be notoriously hard to sex at the best of times, and as I said I am still inexperienced at this.

I hope for your sake I'm wrong
hide.gif

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom