Hen or roo?

amybeth114

Hatching
Mar 1, 2015
Oklahoma
Hello Everyone!

After much planning I finally took the leap and bought some hens (five Leghorns to be exact). Now I'm hooked
1f601.png
. About a month ago I bought 4 more birds (1 barred rock, 2 Austalorps, and 1 RIR) that are 2 and 3 months old. I'm pretty sure the RIR is a cockerel and the Australorps are pullets, but I can't decide what the barred rock is. Any guesses?

Barred Rocks can be confusing. I got 2 Barred Rocks as chicks at the same time, but one grew and matured significantly faster than the other, so I assumed it was a rooster. It really was a hen. Is his/her feathers on the neck very slim and pointy? Around the tail, are the feathers curvy?

Although this is a Wyandotte, you can still see the narrow, pointy feathers and the curvy feathers by the tail.

I went out and took a close look at him/her. I tried to get a better picture, but he/she was opposed. The feathers around the neck are thin and pointy-ish and the feathers around the tail are curvy. They look very similar to the Wyandotte CluckCluckGirl posted. I suppose I can just practice some patience for a few months (not my forte) and see if he/she crows or lays an egg. Then I'll have my answer
1f604.png

This bird appears very young - - so with that in mind when looking at the comb/wattle development, and a couple of other factors of the bird's appearance, it would point to being a cockerel. Were they 2-3 months old a month ago when you bought them or 2-3 months old now? Is this photo current or of the bird at a previous point?

Back
Top Bottom