1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen or roo?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amybeth114, Mar 1, 2015.

1. amybeth114

amybeth114 New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Hello Everyone!

After much planning I finally took the leap and bought some hens (five Leghorns to be exact). Now I'm hooked[​IMG]. About a month ago I bought 4 more birds (1 barred rock, 2 Austalorps, and 1 RIR) that are 2 and 3 months old. I'm pretty sure the RIR is a cockerel and the Australorps are pullets, but I can't decide what the barred rock is. Any guesses?[​IMG]

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Pullet

3. RileyCalanchini

RileyCalanchini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    California
    He or She still looks a little to young to tell. Is he/she bigger than the other chick's? Most rooster's will grow a lot faster than the hen's.

4. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Did he or she get feathers first? If so,it is a hen.Hens get feathering first.

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Barred Rocks can be confusing. I got 2 Barred Rocks as chicks at the same time, but one grew and matured significantly faster than the other, so I assumed it was a rooster. It really was a hen. Is his/her feathers on the neck very slim and pointy? Around the tail, are the feathers curvy? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Although this is a Wyandotte, you can still see the narrow, pointy feathers and the curvy feathers by the tail.

1 person likes this.
  6. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    The point feathers on the tails are want wr call "Sikle feathers",and the pointy feathers on the or near the tail.is what we call,"Saddle feathers".

7. amybeth114

amybeth114 New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Oklahoma
    He/she is the same size as the other chicks.

8. amybeth114

amybeth114 New Egg

Mar 1, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I went out and took a close look at him/her. I tried to get a better picture, but he/she was opposed. The feathers around the neck are thin and pointy-ish and the feathers around the tail are curvy. They look very similar to the Wyandotte CluckCluckGirl posted. I suppose I can just practice some patience for a few months (not my forte) and see if he/she crows or lays an egg. Then I'll have my answer[​IMG].

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This bird appears very young - - so with that in mind when looking at the comb/wattle development, and a couple of other factors of the bird's appearance, it would point to being a cockerel. Were they 2-3 months old a month ago when you bought them or 2-3 months old now? Is this photo current or of the bird at a previous point?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by