Hen or Rooster should leave?

Littell2Meadows

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 22, 2014
Cheney, WA
We were given a Hen (Ida) who looks like a brown Barred Rock and a Banty Rooster (Frank) in May '14. Ida was laying 4-5 eggs a week. They were both about a year old. A week later we bought 6 - 1 week old Barred Rock chicks. Turns out there were 5 hens and 1 rooster in our 6 chicks. We integrated them when the two others when they were about 8 weeks old. Everything seemed to be fine until a dog got a hold of our laying hen. She received a leg sprain. She quit laying after a week which we kind of expected due to the trauma however within another week she was acting afraid to go into the coop. I found the Banty Rooster pecking apart her head. I rescued her and separated her into another pen by herself. Her leg seems to be hurting less and she is walking more normal.

This morning the Banty Rooster started pecking at the head of another hen but she just got away from him.

So now what do I do? I'm thinking about separating out the Frank and putting Ida back with the other chickens.

Is Frank getting aggressive because the new rooster is maturing?

We were given a Hen (Ida) who looks like a brown Barred Rock and a Banty Rooster (Frank) in May '14. Ida was laying 4-5 eggs a week. They were both about a year old. A week later we bought 6 - 1 week old Barred Rock chicks. Turns out there were 5 hens and 1 rooster in our 6 chicks. We integrated them when the two others when they were about 8 weeks old. Everything seemed to be fine until a dog got a hold of our laying hen. She received a leg sprain. She quit laying after a week which we kind of expected due to the trauma however within another week she was acting afraid to go into the coop. I found the Banty Rooster pecking apart her head. I rescued her and separated her into another pen by herself. Her leg seems to be hurting less and she is walking more normal.

This morning the Banty Rooster started pecking at the head of another hen but she just got away from him.

So now what do I do? I'm thinking about separating out the Frank and putting Ida back with the other chickens.

Is Frank getting aggressive because the new rooster is maturing?

I would be getting rid of Frank! He could have killed Ida or the other hen. I wouldn't want to mate an aggressive rooster. The point of a rooster is either protection (which him killing your hens or harming them is the opposite) or fertile eggs and its suggested traits like aggressiveness are genetic.

So now what do I do? I'm thinking about separating out the Frank and putting Ida back with the other chickens. Good Idea!

Is Frank getting aggressive because the new rooster is maturing? Yes, probably.

Back
Top Bottom