HEN OR ROOSTER ?!?!?!

HEN OR ROOSTER

• HEN

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • ROOSTER

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Can you post a pic of the feathers on the back? It's a barred Easter Egger with those muffs. Is it closer to 3 months or 4? By 4 months a cockerel will have very noticeable hackle and saddle feathers, which I'm not seeing. At 3 months they are just beginning to grow in. I've had pullets have pretty red combs at 13/14 weeks so just because this birds comb is red doesn't mean it's for sure a cockerel. And since it's not a pure barred Rock, the usual barring rules don't apply.

I think it's a mixed breed cockerel, and more like 3 months (or maybe a touch younger). Older hens don't like any newbies, regardless of gender, and a young cockerel is just as likely to get chased and pecked as a young pullet. He's not old enough to assert or defend himself and may need alternate housing for a while until he's bigger and can hold his own against the mature ladies.

[/IMG]
Roo or hen?
I need to double age on these pictures.
I am noting the lighter color up against the other Barred Rocks. The dark color on legs. She/he started showing red comb b4 any of the other girls. No crowing, no domination. But she/he does have a severe crossbeak. Her comb is at the same stage as 3 of the others.

Here's the comparison toother barred rocks I have. She/he is in front of RIR
These pics are when they were 12-13wks of age.

What are the gender of these 2? They are about 6 months old
In the back, I see two Barred Rocks. One the left is a cockerel, on the right it looks like a pullet.
Up front are what appear to be Cuckoo Marans (white skin, not yellow). And they look like pullets.
But that picture is a bit too blurry to be 100% sure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom