IMG_4101.JPG
IMG_4109.JPG
IMG_4106.JPG
IMG_4177.JPG
IMG_4176.JPG
IMG_4178.JPG
IMG_4180.JPG
Hi!
I'm a new chicken owner, 5 hens and a rooster 10 months old and 8 chicks 9 weeks old. A lot of fun and I love them all. My problem right now is that I think I've got a few roosters among the younger ones, hate the idea of not having them so I'm hoping you'd help me to know what they are. Thank you very much beforehand!

angie_02

Chirping
Jun 2, 2017
Im terrible at this.I would've guesed the bottom one was a hen lol
It's okay, just takes some practice (and sometimes just plain guesses :) ) but it's also harder to sex when you don't know the breed. Tail feathers are a good indicator but at that age, the ones that are getting bigger combes and wattles are usually roosters.

Kassaundra

Sonic screwdrivers are cool!
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Henryetta
You have a combo of pea and straight combs which makes direct comparison a little trickier, but here are my current guesses.
1 all girl all the way
2 can't see the head well but those downward falling tail feathers make me lean towards boy for now
3 those look like boy splotches across the wing / back
4 girl
5 if those legs are really that size boy all the way, but I couldn't tell if it was forced perspective (an optical illusion)
6 looks pretty girly, but I'm going to say a late blooming boy?????
7 those pesky boy splotches across the wings and back I think boy
8 all boy all the way.

rIrs roost

Sir Crows A lot
Aug 20, 2015
Rockingham NC
I
It's okay, just takes some practice (and sometimes just plain guesses :) ) but it's also harder to sex when you don't know the breed. Tail feathers are a good indicator but at that age, the ones that are getting bigger combes and wattles are usually roosters.
I think that I just go along with the saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks LOL. I've had chickens 3 years now and still have trouble lol

Top Bottom