Hen or Rooster?

mompoulson

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2017
Waukesha
This is my family's first time with chickens. We have 6 birds in total. We will be loosing one for sure tomorrow as it turns out it's a rooster. (He will be going to an old friends farm)I would like to know your thoughts on my other Production Red. Hen or Rooster? Also let me know why you think what you think. We are trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks in advance.
IMG_20170618_145912.jpg
IMG_20170618_145549.jpg

This is a cockerel (young rooster). Note the dark,shiny feathers emerging on the wing, at the neck (hackle feathers) and near the tail (saddle feathers).

This is a cockerel (young rooster). Note the dark,shiny feathers emerging on the wing, at the neck (hackle feathers) and near the tail (saddle feathers).
So this is what I have been told but I just really want to make sure before I send both of my Production Reds off as we only had the 2.

Sorry about that. ....rough introduction to chicken keeping to lose both to the dreaded *y chromosome disease*
Yes definitely rough. My kiddos are really disappointed. Well I guess we're down to 4. Maybe we'll get another small batch next year. I want to see how our winter goes before bringing more in. We get some pretty cold winter's.

Back
Top Bottom