Hen or rooster ?

oops sorry, I misunderstood. TSC buys mixed and lies to us I tell u! Lol
No problem ! Yea I got a bunch from TSC and then I got a 2nd batch from Murray McMurray and that is where the planned Brahma is from. The MM chicks are beautiful and I think well worth the extra money I spent . Don’t get me wrong.my TSC chicks were fine and these roosters are actually very friendly although they are setting all the ladies straight. Although they appear to be no match for my older RI Red. She has a “whatever” attitude towards them and is the only one who chases them right back !lol so they have chosen to just let her be ..

I guess my next question is .. is 50 chickens (well now 47) enough to sustain 3 roosters? So far these two australorps seem fine with each other but when I add the Brahma into the mix (he is in a fenced pen that sits inside the run with these two) should I expect a messy situation? Both docile breeds from what I’m reading (that’s why I chose the Brahma for our first rooster) but I’m sure that changes when they are mixed ?

41DBBBCA-6549-46E7-91DA-21D80DEFB320.jpeg
Looks like a rooster. Could you post a picture of a side view?

yes, that's more than enough females to males. Also, what color are this guy's foot bottoms? If yellow, then he's a black jersey giant cockerel... if grayish pink with no hint of yellow, then he's an austrolorp.

yes, that's more than enough females to males. Also, what color are this guy's foot bottoms? If yellow, then he's a black jersey giant cockerel... if grayish pink with no hint of yellow, then he's an austrolorp.
You can actually see the edge of his footpad color and he appears to be an Australorp.
@kristin67 id say 47 hens is more than enough for three roosters in fact you could probably get a couple more and be fine. Also if you got 50 hatchery chicks and only had three cockerel, including chicks from TSC... You hit the jackpot

You can actually see the edge of his footpad color and he appears to be an Australorp.
@kristin67 id say 47 hens is more than enough for three roosters in fact you could probably get a couple more and be fine. Also if you got 50 hatchery chicks and only had three cockerel, including chicks from TSC... You hit the jackpot
I already had 14 hens that are a couple years old .. this year I added all the rest .. I purchased most from TSC and then 15 from Murray McMurray.. the ones from TSC I ended up with these two australorp roosters and there is also 2 bantam roosters . No one pays them any attention even though they try so hard to be noticed lol. Then the 15 I got from MM were all hens except the planned Brahma rooster . So basically I planned on one rooster and ended up with 3 and then two tiny bantam roosters . Everyone is getting along just fine so far . But it sounds like I have enough hens to satisfy all their needs lol

Back
Top Bottom