Hen or Rooster?

Floyds26

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2017
So we are new to chickens. I built a coop and we have 4 chickens that are 14 weeks old this week. I have watched a bunch of youtube videos to figure out how to determine hen from rooster. We hear some adolescent rooster noises every so often, but not sure who it is (or if it could just be a hen sound vs a rooster sound). Specifically, we have 1 Americana and 1 Sliver Laced Wyndote that are suspect. The Americana does not have any pronounced combs like the wyndote, but the tail feathers seem suspect to me.....so posting some pics here in hopes of getting some input from the forum. Any counsel would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Image from iOS (2).jpg

Attachments

• Image from iOS (3).jpg
    Image from iOS (3).jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Image from iOS (4).jpg
    Image from iOS (4).jpg
    738 KB · Views: 31
  • Image from iOS (7).jpg
    Image from iOS (7).jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Image from iOS (6).jpg
    Image from iOS (6).jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Image from iOS (5).jpg
    Image from iOS (5).jpg
    862 KB · Views: 30
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Your Easter Egger is a pullet and your Wyandotte would be the only suspect cockerel.

Most are starting to sport pointy saddle feathers around 12 weeks, though I'm having a hard time making them out on your birds...
1591751142504.png

It's the incomplete lacing on the chest in addition to the white shoulder bar.. aside from the size of wattles and redness of the comb that point to male... often (not always) in laced breeds... some males do have exceptional lacing and females might get poor lacing making this general statement only one factor.

Otherwise depending on behavior.. I MIGHT still hold out hope that it were just an early maturing pullet.. but very doubtful. :hmm

Your cream Legbar and the EE are sporting ZERO male traits. Lovely little group ya got their! :love

Ok. So I am now thinking our Rhode Island Red is also a boy. He/she is making some adolescent roostery sounds and the waddle and comb have become very very Red in the last few weeks. I hope I am wrong bc he/she is my favorite.

Anywho....what yall think about little Cornelia? Pullet or cockerel? Many many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 17
Ok. So I am now thinking our Rhode Island Red is also a boy. He/she is making some adolescent roostery sounds and the waddle and comb have become very very Red in the last few weeks. I hope I am wrong bc he/she is my favorite.

Anywho....what yall think about little Cornelia? Pullet or cockerel? Many many thanks in advance.
It doesn't look to be getting any rooster tail feathers but it's comb and wattles are pretty red I don't have rhode island reds but I used to and I found a couple pics online for you it still has a really good chance of being a pullets sometimes they mature faster unless you hear it crow or see rooster tail feathers I think it's a pullet
Rooster⤵
20200702_215355.jpg

Hen⤵
20200702_215403.jpg

Ok. So I am now thinking our Rhode Island Red is also a boy. He/she is making some adolescent roostery sounds

Crowing is a very accurate way to recognize cockerels.

and the waddle and comb have become very very Red in the last few weeks.

How old is the bird? That much comb and wattles could be right for a laying hen, or a pullet about to start laying (16-20 weeks). If the bird is much younger than that, then the comb and wattles say "cockerel."

Crowing is a very accurate way to recognize cockerels.

How old is the bird? That much comb and wattles could be right for a laying hen, or a pullet about to start laying (16-20 weeks). If the bird is much younger than that, then the comb and wattles say "cockerel."

The Rhode Island Red is was about 18 weeks when I took this. In looking at what the Rhode Island Roosters look like at that age, I am thinking hen. I am new to this breed (well, and backyard chickens in general) and didn't realize this breed's hens often have pretty pronounced combs/wattles.

Got our first egg today, btw...but not sure how laid it LOL..

The Rhode Island Red is was about 18 weeks when I took this. In looking at what the Rhode Island Roosters look like at that age, I am thinking hen.

At that age, it's pretty clear your photo shows a pullet. She won't technically be a hen until she's one year old. (That only matters if you care about using the "right" word for the combination of gender/age.)

Back
Top Bottom