Hen or Rooster

Jenjen30755

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
Hi everyone I new to raising chickens and am having to learn quickly. We was given 10 chicks at the beginning of summer and I have no clue how old they are but some just started crowing. I have one I am not sure if it’s a hen or rooster. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
8A2FBDBC-6BF7-4264-B391-DD4B9B9D2229.jpeg
72D3B560-CD15-423A-B8D3-0039C1CD6DC7.jpeg
71B07D8D-FBA1-4364-B9AB-FCFF2329E361.jpeg
C2A9C03C-B697-49AC-B46A-76A67AFA7435.jpeg
D64B3670-A3F7-44DE-B764-97B2E3E5CCF9.jpeg

3 just started one is learning and we have a 2 year old rooster as well. It’s craziness
It’s a long story but to try and keep it short it all began with a stray chicken one morning I found nesting in the weeds by the driveway. ( I mean who has a stray chicken wandering up? A cat ,or dog yeah I have seen that but a chicken? 😂) Anyway no one around us had chickens we checked and we just so happened to have the perfect place for her and Flora became our first chicken. A few days later my sister in law is bringing over 10 small chickens, a grown hen and a grown rooster 🤦🏻‍♀️I was told 5 of the small ones hen and 5 roosters. So far there’s one confirmed hen from the small ones, stray chicken flora. Then boom mystery egg in the rooster coop. 🤣🤣 never a dull moment.

I know that feeling I had a chick that I had no idea what the breed was and I spent weeks trying to figure it out and lots of posts on here.
As far as I know all these chickens are just mixed breed chickens. When we got them we was told 5 was hens 5 was roosters. One was killed by a raccoon and so far I know of 1 for sure hen and that’s only because I seen one of the roosters mate with her lol. So that confirms 2 lol

Look at the saddle feathers on the back right before the tail- long pointy feathers means male(after about 12-16 weeks old) , rounded feathers means female. To check see who is laying, after the roost at night pick up the hens and feel for the pelvic bones on either side of the vent, lying hens bones will be more than 2 fingers apart.

Back
Top Bottom