hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chasehope, May 12, 2007.

1. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I have a couple of banty cochins that I am questionable on the sex. They hatched march 15th of this year. I have 2 that are definately pullets, yellow comb and all. But these dont seem to have any bigger comb than the others, they are just pinker, not quite what I would call red. I don't mind if they are roos, as I can use them in my breeding program, I am just curious as to what I will have to work with in the future. Any oppinions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry that the pics aren't better, but these were IMPOSSIBLE to get good pictures of, plus my camera doesn't take the best pics either. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I always guess cockerel if I see red in the face when they are that young. If Im wrong, it is much less disappointing then if I guessed the other way, lol.

chel

3. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    roosters are fine with me, I can use them too, but I REALLY want to know for sure. I can usually tell, but these guys have such small combs, and just a slight reddish color. I guess its still a waiting game.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by