Hen or Rooster

That bird is a hen, and close to laying from the comb. See how she has a smooth, even color over all, as opposed to the pictures of the cockerel? His colors are bright, flashy, designed to draw attention. The hen is drab, even colored, designed to camouflage while setting on a nest.

That does not look like a rooster. The breed looks like an americauna (easter egger) chicken that would usually lay a green or blue egg. If this was a rooster then the legs would be larger and more pronounced as well as small bumps on the inside of each shank which are the starting of spurs. Also if it were a rooster you would begin to see small pin feathers forming around the tail. I have raised americaunas before and those are some of the traits that all my roosters held. The best wag to tell is to compare by using pictures online after all no 1 can compare that bird better than you. Good luck.

The light one is a hen...her face still looks pink...it will go red when she will be at point of lay...watch for squatting hen...she's beautiful...now your Ginger one..she has more he features..the pointed sickle like tail feathers..closer pic of face...looks like one pea comb ridge...males have 3 ridges and their face and comb get red earlier....yours maybe like mine...confusing

The Ginger is mine. He's definitely cockerel. Hasn't started crowing yet though...
hu.gif

I would call your hen beardless. I did some research before I ever got my little Bandit and learned there is a beardless variety of Ameraucanas. Bandit was my "surprise" chick from McMurray and turned out to be a beardless Ameraucana. I'm not sure if all of the Ameraucana's they breed are beardless or if it's just some because the only pictures they have is a sketch of an Auraucana and some chicks. But I would call yours a beardless Ameraucana. They have the same color markings and body type. The only difference I can tell is the beard.

I like them both. My mom just bought some older pullets that have the beard. Two of them look just like your beardless, except they have the tuffy beard.

Back
Top Bottom