hen or rooster?

Turned out to be 3 Roos and 1 hen

Bummer!
sad.png

Having the same issue! We recently bought 3 barred rock and 2 aracauna. They are now about 9 weeks old. All of the barred rock look the same. But almost overnight, one of the araucana looked completely different. We are thinking it might be a rooster. No crowing, just strange looking face, shorter tail, and it has always been a little bigger than the others. It's not aggressive or pushy, and has gotten used to being held and now eats from our hands. What do y'all think?

Gorgeous birds! I see the one you're talking about but I'd be suspicious of the one in back with the red comb but not seeing any saddle feathers from your pic. I've had a few get really lean and stalky and we were sure they were roos but they became hens. The vid I posted a few comments back may help. It could still be a late bloomer but still looks hennish to me

Gorgeous birds! I see the one you're talking about but I'd be suspicious of the one in back with the red comb but not seeing any saddle feathers from your pic. I've had a few get really lean and stalky and we were sure they were roos but they became hens. The vid I posted a few comments back may help. It could still be a late bloomer but still looks hennish to me

I see what you mean about the red on the back one. The overnight beard and the fluff around the ears (forgive the very technical terminology) was what worried me about the front one. That and the tail is much shorter. The back bird has a longer, though not arched at all, tail.
I guess I'll find out if we witness some crowing soon!

Hmmm well if that is indeed a hen she'll probably be your first to lay ;) are they mixes? The feathers do look barred and the back one doesn't seem to be starting a beard. It may be they have the same parents but recieved different genes. That's mostly what I have with my chicks I crossed two purebreds of a different breed it's a total mish mash of genes and they all look different

Hmmmmm.... looks like a hen with the waddles just now coming in but can't tell on feathers from the pic. I'm leaning more hen but I can't be sure either

Having the same issue! We recently bought 3 barred rock and 2 aracauna. They are now about 9 weeks old. All of the barred rock look the same. But almost overnight, one of the araucana looked completely different. We are thinking it might be a rooster. No crowing, just strange looking face, shorter tail, and it has always been a little bigger than the others. It's not aggressive or pushy, and has gotten used to being held and now eats from our hands. What do y'all think?

Having blown this pic up and looking closely, I think there are saddles compared to the one in front of it. The red comb is concerning also. The bird does not have the typical patchwork/tri color of an EE but It looks like the tail has a slight curve. Another pic w/o tail backed up th shavings would help. Also, check diameter of legs/knees to the one in front of it. If cockerel, they'll be thicker and longer. Can you get a pic of it's stance?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom